PDA

View Full Version : Installed Win ME then . . . nothing!

lino
02-11-2001, 09:59 AM
Help! Installed ME on clean, formatted, FAT32 2Gb partition. All went smoothly until final reboot. Then, after initial DOS-type boot-up screens, when I expected something like 'Starting Win ME' and an ME splash screen, I had a blank screen except for a flashing message 'Signal Out Of Range'. Starts OK in safe mode. Other times, gives the above message, or just completely blank screen.
AMD K6-2 500MHz (not o/clocked), 30Gb Maxtor HDD, 128mB RAM, ATI All-In-Wonder 128.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.

Reid
02-11-2001, 11:32 AM
Sounds like you need to load the ATI drivers. Windows may not have determined the monitor and video adapters correctly and is using the wrong driver. This Microsoft Device Management (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Win98/Reskit/Part5/wrkc24.asp) article has information about video settings toward the end.

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends install Windows ME

lino
02-19-2001, 07:56 PM
After much installing and removing of drivers for ATI card and Dell monitor, and installing/re-installing Win ME, I finally realised that the problem lay with the AGP drivers required by my mobo. Once these were updated Win ME started up as expected. Many thanks.