PDA

View Full Version : CANT make NEW folder in WIN 98 Explorer...

Inquiring
03-03-2001, 03:35 AM
I am unable to make a NEW folder in WIN 98 using Explorer. Heres what happens--after clicking FILE-NEW I try to select the FOLDER name and icon (above the SHORTCUT icon and name) but when I attempt to move sideways to the SHORTCUT Icon and then move upward to the FOLDER icon, the drop down box CLOSES and I am unable to make the FOLDER. The word FOLDER is offset upward from the word NEW. Whats going on here and how can I correct?
Thanks.

PS-all actions are performed using MOUSE cursor.

Paleo Pete
03-03-2001, 09:08 AM
I've been watching your posts for a long time and it seems you have lots of problems with this computer, assuming it's the same one...I don't have a clue what's happening with this problem, but I'm seriously wondering if you have a virus you haven't found, some major problems in BIOS, or just need to fdisk, format and start over...too many problems on this machine to be anything simple...unless it's a virus...

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Inquiring
03-04-2001, 11:59 PM
No have 3 computers here. Not just 1. NO virii...Scan using Norton Anti-Virus daily with the latest virii updates...careful about that...one box has 130,000 files with programs and apps. My guess is some interaction (drivers especially) may be occuring...most of the problems have been generally worked out...Thought about periodically reformatting and re-installing but Id have to selectively choose to save and then re-copy things like Word docs, ACT entries, WINFAX logs, and Eudora files. Not sure I can re-copy those into a clean HD intact. Also, have tweaked the registry without logging changes so Id lose those too. If you know of an easier softer way to copy files intact back into the HD then please Im all ears and eyes. If I did I would install WIndows 98 SE or WINDOWS 2000 Pro.
Thanks

Originally posted by Paleo Pete:
I've been watching your posts for a long time and it seems you have lots of problems with this computer, assuming it's the same one...I don't have a clue what's happening with this problem, but I'm seriously wondering if you have a virus you haven't found, some major problems in BIOS, or just need to fdisk, format and start over...too many problems on this machine to be anything simple...unless it's a virus...

Paleo Pete
03-05-2001, 09:49 AM
One of your registry tweaks is the most likely problem, and if you didn't write down everything or back up the registry first, you're likely to have to reinstall to get things straight again.

In the future, make any changes to the registry one thing at a time, then test it for a few days to be sure it works before changing anything else, and always make a backup copy of the registry first. You can do this by copying system.dat and user.dat to another folder in Windows Explorer. If you have problems, it's not difficult to replace them, even if you have to do it from DOS.

To back up documents to another drive, do the same thing. Create a folder on the target drive, copy and paste everything you want to back up into that folder. You can copy multiple files in Windows Explorer by highlighting the top file, holding down the [Shift] key and clicking the bottom file, then a regular Copy & Paste or Drag & Drop will work exactly the same as for individual files. In the left pane, scroll down to the folder you want to copy them to but don't open it. Right click on the folder itself and paste, or drag directly to that folder.

To highlight only certain files and skip others, hold dowm the [Ctrl] key instead of [Shift] and click the files you want to select.

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

sleddog
03-05-2001, 09:08 PM
Out of curiosity, what happens when you use the Windows accelerator keys -- Alt-F, N, F with Windows Explorer open?

------------------
sleddog
[sleddog.f2s.com] (http://www.sleddog.f2s.com)

Inquiring
03-06-2001, 01:47 AM
All keys make folders fine...

Originally posted by sleddog:
Out of curiosity, what happens when you use the Windows accelerator keys -- Alt-F, N, F with Windows Explorer open?