PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake no desktop

Tuzinor
10-17-2001, 03:53 PM
I'm trying to install Mandrake 8.1 again. I just reinstalled Windows 98SE & 2000 again on separate drives.The linux partition (3gb)is now right after the 2gb 98SE partition on the boot drive.I had problems getting a successful test when configuring X during my last attempts-this time after reinstalling Windows (due to IE screwing me)and moving Mandrake to a different partition I got a successful video test for X but when I reboot I get the following error messages when trying to start KDE desktop:
XSETROOT: "unable to open display"
XModmap: "unable to open display"
Xmodmap: " " " " " "
Ksplash: cannot connect to XServer
Aborting. $Display is not set
Ksmserver: cannot connect to Xserver
Connect {}Failed: no such file or directory
I got these same messages before.
If I choose startx during install or XFdrake > when it boots up I have to hit ctrl>alt>F1 because the screen goes into standby mode,login,type startkde-then get the above messages.
When I choose not to startx > the login screen stays displayed but as soon as I try to start kde I get the same messages. Configuring X is getting the right info for my video card,I can select my monitor,settings at 800x600,16bit.
I had Mandrake 7.2 installed in the spring- hadn't played with it in months- decided to do a fresh install with 8.0 then tried 8.1 when it didn't work. I think in one of my many attempts before last week I tried 7.2 again and that didn't work either.
I have tried many things including: a different monitor,bypassing my decoder card& bypassing my console switcher also.
The only hardware changes I have made since I set this machine up is I replaced my Creative 8432 CDRW with the Yamaha 2100EZ CDRW,added 256mb more RAM for a total of 512MB and added the console switcher (for working other puters).
I did select "vgahi" when starting this install (video would show up as 791 instead of 788 in the Lilo bootloader info)> this is the first time I got successful video test.

I'm definitely confused as to why this is happening- As I said I had 7.2 running in the spring- I can't see why the added ram or the CDRW would have anything to do with this problem and I have at one point or another run my monitor directly out of the video card connector instead of thru the decoder card & Console switcher.
My Linux partition was setup as 2800mb / & 125mb swap.
Instructions said that's all I needed.
ANY HELP TO SOLVE THIS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thank's- Dave

Below is my system setup:
System Setup:
Asus A7V Motherboard >no audio,Built in Promise ATA 100 Controller,built in ATA 66 Controller.
AMD 900mhz Thunderbird Processor
512MB Crucial PC 133ram 2-2-2
ATI All In Wonder 128 Pro 32mb 4x AGP Video Card
Samsung 950p Monitor
Sound Blaster Live MP3+ Soundcard
Creative 6X PC-DVD rom with Dxr3 Decoder card
Yamaha 2100EZ 16x10x40 CDRW
Maxtor ATA 100 Hard drives (1)30gb (2)40gb
Teac Floppy drive
Intel PC Pro Camera Pack
HP Scanjet 3200C
Epson Stylus Color 600 printer
Motorola Cable Modem
Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router
Netgear PE102 Ethernet to Phoneline Bridge
Console Switcher (4 sets of inputs)
Altec Lansing Speakers with Subwoofer
Maxtor 30gb > master on Promise ATA 100 controller- main disc:
1st partition : Windows 98SE, 2nd part: Linux Mandrake 8.1 (hopefully)3rd,4th> windows files
Maxtor 40gb > slave- two partitions- Windows files
Maxtor 40gb > Master on ATA 66 Controller: Windows 2000 Professional->1st partition,
2nd part> windows files,3rd part: BeOS

Rick
10-18-2001, 12:24 AM
Iíve seen this same problem when the boot disk was connected to the Promise controller.
The way I got around it was to move the boot disk to the ide controller and disable the promise ata100.
After getting the settings correct I moved the drive back to the ata100

------------------
To ERR is HUMAN
To REALLY screw things UP, YOU NEED a COMPUTER !