PDA

View Full Version : Linux Home Network ?

Tuzinor
10-26-2001, 06:15 PM
Just installed Linux Mandrake 8.1 on my downstairs computer.It has a 3Com Etherlink ISA Nic card.I have a cable modem and a Linksys 4 port router hooked up to my main puter- running Windows 98SE & Win2K Pro- Home Phoneline network with 3 puters > works fine in Windows. I installed the 3Com card in the downstairs computer because Linux doesn't support the D-Link Home Phoneline card that I use with Windows.The 3Com card is hooked up to a Farralon Home Pna to Ethernet bridge.
I know the info that I use in Windows to connect: Linksys Router IP addy:192.168.1.1,the addy's of my nic cards for each puter in Windows,and all the addresses for my cable company. I've set up Linux as I did in Windows : boot DHCP, gateway for each is the Router IP:192.168.1.1,subnet:255.255.255.0 and I provided the DNS address also. Mandrake shows the 3Com card is working properly but I can't connect to anything,tried pinging the router-no luck.What is the Linux equivalent of "winipcfg"? I just upgraded to the latest firmware for the Router also.What am I missing here? Thank's- Dave

Ghost_Hacker
10-27-2001, 10:36 AM
ifconfig = winipcfg

Tuzinor
10-27-2001, 01:14 PM
Thanks- found the problem- replaced the 3Com card with a new D-Link 530TX+ Nic card- up and running- next step is to figure out to network Linux & Windows- Go DBacks- Dave

Snake-Eyes
10-30-2001, 06:21 PM
Its called samba.

iisbob
10-31-2001, 08:00 PM
Haven't tried any networking in Linux but as far as i understood Samba is used for connecting to an NT network, not a 9X kernel machine.

Thoughts on this Ghost?

------------------
iisbob
"Bachelors should be heavily taxed. It's not fair that some men should be happier than others."
-- Oscar Wilde

Rick
10-31-2001, 08:17 PM
It is listed as Windows network.
Just a normal TCP/IP address.
BUT always uses password

That can cause problems if you are not using them

------------------
To ERR is HUMAN
To REALLY screw things UP, YOU NEED a COMPUTER !