PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP or Older systems need not apply

hiredgoonz
05-13-2001, 07:38 PM
Having had the opportunity to try XP out for a few weeks now, I can certainly say that M$ has continued their tradition of coming up with "wishful" system requirements...

I'm running it dual boot w/WinME on a 500mhz AMD K6-2 w/128mb of RAM and a 7200 rpm ATA100 hd on an ata100 card...it is ssslllloooowwwww...granted, the 128mb of RAM is at the bottom of the requirement scale...

It uses 70mb just to run the OS...but it does boot fairly quickly...

It has been made so "idiot-proof" it's difficult to use...it won't initially let you see files in the hd in which it is installed...instead it gives you a big banner that asks "Looking for your Programs? Try the Start menu" Sort of takes the warning you see when you open the windows folder to a whole new level...

The interface is slick...sort of AOL-esque...if you've used MSN Explorer you have a good idea what it looks like...compatibility is actually pretty good all things considered...it makes a built in sound card on an old socket 7 board work, albeit w/crackly sound...

It had built in drivers for everything in the system except the sound card, but it gives you a huge warning if you install anything other than M$ certified progs and drivers...

It's still a beta, so I'm not surprised by it's buggy behavior: explorer crashes, runaway printer and zone alarm completely hosed the system...guess it's good that it has a built in firewall...

Anyway, just some thoughts...I don't think I'll be installing it on my regular system until service pack 1 comes out...

AwARe
05-17-2001, 02:59 PM
hehe.....Thanks for the heads up goonz

Im supposed to be going to some kinda lame convention here sometime soon to get my "Free Copy" of XP, woohoo! lmao....I dont remember the exact date

I have my hopes up, but I'll tell ya, the more I hear the more worried I get heh........

"Looking for your Programs? Try the Start menu" <- Thats just too funny http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif