PDA

View Full Version : New "CLOSE" window

pemmlm1
09-21-2000, 02:03 PM
While surfing PC Guide I had a "close" window that came up with the following: IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in module BROWSEU1.DLLat 0167.71129252
Now I do not know if this is related to an earlier problem which I posted here.
However this time my computer did not shut down, nor could I shut it down from the "Start Menu". I had to cut the power to the computer, turn it back on and then reboot.
I have Windows 98,Proveta system,56k modem, and I have several Internet
Service Providers.
I need help in solving these problems.

Charles Kozierok
09-21-2000, 02:18 PM
With problems related to browsers, the primary suspect is always the browser itself: they are amongst the lowest-quality software products ever written and are riddled with bugs.
You also mention having several ISPs. Sometimes these conflict with each other. Does the problem occur with all ISPs or only one? All sites or just a few?
Have you recently added any hardware or software that might be responsible for the problems?

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

Mohlman
09-22-2000, 05:31 PM
You may try:
a) Blowing away all your temp Internet files.
b) If you have IE5, go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add~Remove Programs. Locate and highlight "Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 and Internet tools" on the Install/Uninstall tab of the Add/Remove Program Properties window.Hit "Add/Remove". A box will appear with one of the selections being "repair Internet Explorer". This utility cleans up inconsistancies and file/directory errors, and updates your registry. It's a good idea to run it once a month. With regard to the other fellow's suggestion about having several browsers on your system, heed him well. Sooner or later, you'll get bitten. A better idea is to use one, delete the other, and if need be, download the other, and delete the primary, should need arise. If you want to spend the time, look up the error code on the appropriate MS website, though it'll take you a while to locate it. If you know a MCSE, get him to run a question for you, it's free for them. Good luck.