PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection locking computer

rbr-svt
10-30-2000, 08:11 PM
I have a problem with my internet connection locking my computer up intermittantly. System: HP pavilion 8670C, MS windows 98 2nd edition,Intel 600mhz PIII,128mg ram. The only changes made were an updated video card months ago. System ran fine after the video card swap.The PC seems fine,at least running other software or games,except for the internet connection. The problem may occur repeatedly for days and then mysteriously disappear and everything works fine. I've tried reloading AOL and this hasn't helped. Using a older PII over the same phone line has worked fine connecting & accessing the web with same user ID.

The general flow:
1. Log onto AOL,their welcome window opens & usual stuff opens up onscreen. I seem to be able to access AOl utilities (mail,preferences etc.) but once I try to go to a specific website or homepage the thing just locks up with a hourglass.
2. Once this has happened I can move the pointer but it doesn't allow me to try to close the window/application.
3. Sometimes It messes up my desktop and has me restart it.
4. Using Cntl-alt-del and end task will shut down the AOL window and let me regain use of the computer.
5. It's baffaling because it happens periodically so I initially thought it was a problem with AOL but now think it's my PC.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks Richard

Paleo Pete
10-31-2000, 12:24 AM
Don't have any answers, but I don't think it's your PC. Internet Explorer 4 as installed from the win98 CD does the same thing on this machine, I upgrade to 5.01 and it quits. You might try going to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and run the Internet Repair tool.

I don't recommend upgrading to IE 5.5 until they work out all the bugs, but you might try that too. Could well be a problem with the version of IE used by AOL, or AOL itself...AOL does have a reputation for being flaky...

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

bassvax
10-31-2000, 03:49 AM
Hey to you Richard! This is the very reason that I have grown to despise AOL. I believe it has something to do with their software. When I first started using the pc to connect to the internet I started with AOL. I ran into this very problem almost constantly. Now I may just be a bit biased and it may not be an AOL problem, but I've not experienced it using any other ISP. It's almost like AOL doesn't want you to go any where that they haven't directed you to themselves. It's funny how they shoved Version 5.0 down consumer's throats knowing the massive bugs (more than any Microsoft bugged-out OS and now so soon they are pushing Ver 6.0. Just words to ponder...sorry I couldn't be of actual assistance http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/frown.gif
Just a note to Pete: I have installed IE 5.5 on all of my systems with the security patch and I haven't had any problems that I've noticed. I did hear that there may be a mismatch when using Win 95b (I use Win 95a and Win 98SE)

------------------
Jerry

[This message has been edited by bassvax (edited 10-31-2000).]

Paleo Pete
11-01-2000, 12:29 AM
bassvax: Thanks for the info, I saw tons of posts in another forum soon after the release of IE 5.5 concerning problems, mainly with machines locking up during the download/install process. Haven't heard much since that died down, except for one friend locally who recently installed it, (actually someone else installed it for him against his will), and he hasn't had any trouble either. He's still trying to straighten out all the other problems the person introduced...

I always wait about 6 months before trying a new version of IE, since it's historically the most bug prone application Micro$oft ever designed. By then they've usually got most of them fixed.

------------------

rbr-svt
11-01-2000, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the assistance/sympathy from everybody. I ended up re-installing AOL 5.0 and then downloaded IE(5.5). Everything seems okay for now but don't know if the problem was AOL/IE or a combo of the two. This is probably the 3rd time I've re-installed AOL 5.0 on my PC. And now their releasing 6.0 . I never had these types of problems (internet connection wise) running on a "primitive" 233mhz/32mg ram & WIN95. I'm thinking maybe WIN98 may be compounding the problem? I don't have the training/skills to try to debug/optimize software- I tend to rip it off the PC and re-install with fingers crossed.

Paleo Pete
11-02-2000, 12:51 AM
I'd say it's AOhelL. It has a long standing reputation for being flaky, and causing plenty trouble, especially when uninstalled. I've seen instances where a format/reinstall of Windows was necessary to stop problems resulting from installing or uninstalling AOL...

------------------