PDA

View Full Version : PC freezes when downloading

NewBritG44
12-03-2000, 07:16 AM
Everytime I try to do a download from the internet and only have a short period of time to go, my computer freezes. Would anyone have an idea of what's going on here? I am using a LAN at home. This is very frustrating and annoying especially to only have 5 minutes to go on the download and the computer freezes. Thanks for any suggestions.

jcift
12-03-2000, 03:43 PM
Need some more specifices from you: what are the specs of your system? Are you trying to download highly graphic-intensive pograms? Do you have a newer pc or an older one?............
A little more information may help.

NewBritG44
12-03-2000, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by jcift:
Need some more specifices from you: what are the specs of your system? Are you trying to download highly graphic-intensive pograms? Do you have a newer pc or an older one?............
A little more information may help.

Sorry!! I have a 700 Mhz Athlon computer, 20 gig hard drive, DVD drive, regular CDrom drive, 56K modem, 64 meg of ram. It's an old computer that I put together myself. I'm only trying to download simple stuff, eg. Media Player 7.0, Quicktime. Nothing highly intensive.

jcift
12-03-2000, 08:53 PM
i do apologize that I do not have a fix as of yet, but just to let you know, there have been many people having problems downloading MediaPlayer7 AND QuickTime. Don't ask why.... It could very easily not be your system, but there may be some type of bug in the application itself. Is your pc on for a long time before actually trying to download these files? Does your PC read all 64 megs of memory during post? If not, this could really present a problem trying to download MediaPlayer 7.
You could also check with your motherboard's maunfacturer and see if there are some upgrades available for your motherboard. This may help.
Also try closing all other programs on your pc and try downloaing it again. I will mull over this for a while and let you know the best way to rectify this. I'm sure that others on this forum have experienced this problem directly and may be able to help you right away. Let me know how it goes.......

BigBlue66
12-04-2000, 10:41 AM
Hey NewBrit,

In addition to the other posts about your problem, I think there may be some internet settings that you could play with. Not real sure where they are at this point, but maybe somebody on here knows.

The settings I refer to have to do with download and upload speed. Check everything on your computer that has to do with internet settings, dial-up connections, etc. until you find a dialog box with two sliders, one for download and one for upload. When you find this dialog box, slide the 'download' setting to the left, to slow it down a bit, or vice-versa if you find that it is set too slow. Playing around with these settings may help.

If I were in front of my home computer, I could tell you exactly where to find it, but alas, I am at work on a T1 line and WIN NT 4.0, which is a totally different bear.

I agree with Jcift about problems with MP7. I downloaded it a few weeks ago, but became so disgusted with the apparent bugs within it, that I uninstalled it. I think I will wait until they have refined it a bit.

Good luck.

Big Blue 66

Reid
12-04-2000, 01:37 PM
What operating system are you using? When I had Windows 95 it had a "memory leak" that would freeze up the system after about 1 1/2 hours on the web. Memturbo (http://www.memturbo.com) cleared up that until I got Windows 98.

Do you have any Power Management enabled in the Control Panel or BIOS? Some systems do not come back out of a standby mode correctly.

To help eliminate the possibility of a program causing a problem, as jcift thought of, try EndItAll (http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,0011NB,.html) to end everything except Systray and Explorer. It is easier and faster than using the Close Program dialog.

------------------
rdrummond@thesimpsons.com

[This message has been edited by Reid (edited 12-04-2000).]

NewBritG44
12-06-2000, 12:40 PM
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I was finally able to download the Media Player and Quicktime but what I had to do was close all of my programs that were open except for the bare minimum. It was a real headache trying to figure this one out. I would get down to about 5 minutes to go and then the screen would freeze. I'm glad it's over. Thanks again to everyone for their help!!!!

Originally posted by Reid:
What operating system are you using? When I had Windows 95 it had a "memory leak" that would freeze up the system after about 1 1/2 hours on the web. Memturbo (http://www.memturbo.com) cleared up that until I got Windows 98.

Do you have any Power Management enabled in the Control Panel or BIOS? Some systems do not come back out of a standby mode correctly.

To help eliminate the possibility of a program causing a problem, as jcift thought of, try EndItAll (http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,0011NB,.html) to end everything except Systray and Explorer. It is easier and faster than using the Close Program dialog.