PDA

View Full Version : Adaptec bundle with HP 9510i CDRW Drive

bassvax
10-19-2000, 08:24 PM
I just successfully installed a new HP 9510i 12/8/32 drive in my son's pc. I put it as slave on the secondary IDE with the Original 50x CDROM drive as master. It appears all is fine as far as the installation. The problem is when I use the HP software to burn audio files (mp3) to a CD-R disc. I bought a pack of new Memorex (80 min) CD-R's. The error I get after the write speed test is that the cd media is dirty or scratched. I've cleaned the disc and retried and I have tried several of the others in the bundle with no luck. I tried using the CD-R that came with the drive and it got past the write speed test and started writing to the disc but briefly into the write I got the same error about the CD-R being dirty or scratched. Could the laser lens need cleaning? Does the mp3 file need to be converted to another type? Is this a brand (media) compatability issue? Or do I need to go ahead and purchase the Easy CD Creator 4.0 Software...we use that at work and it is simple? Any other "free" software available to use to copy mp3 to an audio cd? Thanks! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/frown.gif

StoneDragon
10-20-2000, 04:46 PM
Sounds like it could be a dirty lense... or the adjustment is out of whack.

As to the MP3 issue... if you're hoping to actually be able to play this cd in the car etc... I believe that you will have to convert to wave first... unless you have a writing program that attempts to convert "on-the-fly". If you're just looking to store or transport the files, then it shouldn't make any difference.

StoneDragon
10-20-2000, 04:48 PM
double post http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by StoneDragon (edited 10-20-2000).]

bassvax
10-23-2000, 07:39 PM
Hey Thanks for the info...I've learned a bit about this stuff and I ended up taking the HP back and getting a Sony 8/4/32 its the one we use at work. I also bought the Adaptec Easy CD Creator software (it is the absolute best in my opinion). After freeing up the system resources and defragging and all that recommended stuff I was still having problems. I went to Sony's web site and they listed a bunch of suggestions. One of them was to deselect the "DMA" box on the drive properties. It worked immediately. The other problem is probably related to the fact that this HD is a 5400 RPM. I'll be purchasing a 7200 RPM soon as my mobo does support ATA 33 and 66. Just updating you.

IndianaWoody
11-17-2000, 12:51 PM
Hi man, glad to here you are having better luck. I went through the same thing, bought one, did some research, took it back and got a better one.

I got the adaptec software with mine, did fine on some stuff but no good on others, but a budy of mine said he just got the adaptec 4 you are talking about and says it does very well. I have had good success with blind read and cdrwin.

The main reason I am replying is your comment on the new hard drive, just thought I would mention that the 7200 is not always faster than a 5400. There are many things that can effect the access and sustain speeds. I read up on hardrives on the pcguide, and would suggest anyone looking to get one do the same. If you already know what I am talking about please disregard my ramblings http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/redface.gif)

As far as the mp3 you will need to convert them. I got a program by Data Becker for around $15 that has worked great.

bassvax
11-18-2000, 04:58 AM
Thanks for the info Woodman (are you a gopher). My son's considering Rose Hulman any experience there? Oh well...In the short month since the CDRW drive install and using it I've learned a great deal bout the stuff. I was familiar with the hard drive speeds and access times and aerial density of the media, etc. I still think completely changing to 7200 rpm will help. The best solution is to bite the bullet and record at the slowest speed for the best recording. There is "burn-proof" software now though. The Adaptec software does the automatic conversion of the mp3's. The Napster rush is on now http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Jerry

IndianaWoody
11-18-2000, 06:41 AM
Hey Bassvax, I live about 15 minutes from Rose Hulman. My brother gadutated from there and one of my good friends son's is going there now. I used to play basketball in there gym, thats as close as I have ever come to going there lol.Sounds like you are having great success with the burner, spend quite a bit of time on Napster myself from time to time http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

rUzz
11-25-2000, 04:47 PM
First time cdr buyers seem unaware that Music data is different than regular data. Pc data contains a extra bit of info a the end of it's binary code. This is called the parity bit. It tells if the line of binary data is even or odd a chip on the motherboard places this info in the binary stream before its sends it to the CPU. The CPU does a calculation to see if the binary data is even or odd then compares it to the parity bit to tell if there is a error. It is not a big deal if there is an error it easily fixed. Most CDRs do not support the error checking ability unless it is specified.
So if you are using a CDR that does not support this you will have trouble.

Also you can convert mP3z with Winamp go to preferences/plug-ins/select outpu/then select Nullsoft disk writer plug-in/hit configure then tell it what directory you would like your wavs converted to/then open winamp and play the song like you would anyother time and Winamp will convert it to wav in the selected folder.

------------------
Stay alert, stay alive!

[This message has been edited by rUzz (edited 11-25-2000).]

sea69
12-13-2000, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by IndianaWoody:
Hi man, glad to here you are having better luck. I went through the same thing, bought one, did some research, took it back and got a better one.

I got the adaptec software with mine, did fine on some stuff but no good on others, but a budy of mine said he just got the adaptec 4 you are talking about and says it does very well. I have had good success with blind read and cdrwin.

The main reason I am replying is your comment on the new hard drive, just thought I would mention that the 7200 is not always faster than a 5400. There are many things that can effect the access and sustain speeds. I read up on hardrives on the pcguide, and would suggest anyone looking to get one do the same. If you already know what I am talking about please disregard my ramblings http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/redface.gif)

As far as the mp3 you will need to convert them. I got a program by Data Becker for around $15 that has worked great.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ok what I would like to say is I have some confusion on this "Converting mp3's" thing when running Adaptec and NOT being able to play in home or car cd players.
I do this all the time (record mp3's to cd using Adaptec 4.0, I do NOT need to "convert" ANYTHING in order for these files to be played on Home or car cd players....
did I misread your comment on this ??

------------------
lol

scada
12-13-2000, 03:27 PM
Older versions of Adaptec's software did not consider MP3 files "valid" audio formats. These older version would only burn wav files. So you had to convert a MP3 to a Wav file before Adaptec could burn the cd.

Starting with version 4 WAV and MP3 files are now considered valid audio formats.

sea69
12-15-2000, 06:20 PM
I see (Scada) .. hmmmmmm now if only u would help me with my posted problem under the- 'peripherials'.. my mouse problem.... http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif)
Originally posted by scada:

Older versions of Adaptec's software did not consider MP3 files "valid" audio formats. These older version would only burn wav files. So you had to convert a MP3 to a Wav file before Adaptec could burn the cd.

Starting with version 4 WAV and MP3 files are now considered valid audio formats.

------------------
lol...so I cant spell...