PDA

View Full Version : OE mail from one machine to Outlook on new machine

Terilyn
12-20-2000, 09:58 AM
Hi all,

I need to get mail from Outlook Express on one machine into Outlook on a new machine...what files from Outlook Express do I need to put on the new machine to import into Outlook?

Win98SE on an NT 4.0 server running Exchange 5.5, SP3.

Any help greatly appreciated. TIA

scada
12-20-2000, 10:53 AM
What I would do is install Outlook on the old machine. Make sure that it is connected to the Exchange server and this person's mailbox on that server. Then use the Import function of Outlook( found in the "file" menu) to import the email messages from Outlook express into the mailbox on the exchange server.

If you can't do this then do a "find" on files with an extension of DBX. Outlook Express's files will be named after the folders found in that email client. ( IE: sentitems.dbx, outbox.dbx...) Copy them into the same location on the new machine and perform the import. But be warned that this doesn't always work. Outlook Express may report that the files are corrupted and refuse to open them. Also Outlook may refuse to import them.

Hope this helps http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by scada (edited 12-20-2000).]

Terilyn
12-20-2000, 12:59 PM
Scada,

Thanks for the suggestion of importing into Outlook on the old machine...worked like a charm. However, Outlook has not seemed to have "updated" on the new machine...is there a typical "delay" of some type w/the Exchange server?

I've saved all of the .dbx files onto the server and will try your second suggestion, in the event that Outlook on the new machine does not synch w/the Exchange server. Thanks again.

scada
12-20-2000, 02:20 PM
Outlook should update with the server when it's opened or when you click "send/receive".

Check control panel and see if this user is using Personel folders. ( Displayed on the first page, services tab.Also check that the "Microsoft exchange server" service is still installed and the "properties" for it are correct.)If the exchange service is still installed and the user has personel folders . Click the "Delivery" tab and make sure that the "deliver new mail ...." field says personel folders or whatever is correct for your network. Then open Outlook and make sure that his two mailboxes.(Exchange and personel) are both displayed.

Somewhere in all this you'll proably find he shouldn't have personel folders, his exchange service isn't installed or one of his mailboxes isn't displayed in Outlook.

Good Luck http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

P.S. If you open the mail icon in control panel and don't see the fields I talked about. Then Outlook is setup as an internet email client only. You'll need to reconfigure it. To do this open Outlook go to the "tools" menu and click "options". Open the "mail services" tab and at the bottom click "reconfigure mail support". Now restart Outlook and it will go thur the setup stage again.

[This message has been edited by scada (edited 12-20-2000).]