PDA

View Full Version : Printing Money2000 & Backup Exec File Limit??

RTR
01-14-2001, 06:43 PM
I have two appps that are giving me fits and would appreciate any guidance anyone might offer.

Money2000: I simply can't print anything, the correct printer IS installed and works with every other app EXCEPT Money2000. I get an error "Program has performed illegal operation in module GDI.exe". The program has to be shut down and my Canon printer spooler comes up and cannot be shut down with anything short of a re-boot. The printer used to work just fine here for the past year, and I haven't intentionally changed anything.

Veritas Backup Exec 4: Have been trying to BU 6 gB from one drive (10 gB) to my 30 gB slave. They both drives are FAT32 and have lots of space left. I get an error msg "BU has reached max size allowed by by file system, use smaller BU's or a different drive". There are 49,400 files on the main drive, is that too many for a FAT32 table???

... Thanks

bassvax
01-17-2001, 06:55 AM
First...I don't have any experience with either of those apps and I don't have a clue about the error messages.
I do, though, have some suggestions:
Printer
Download and install the latest drivers for your printer.
Check the Canon site for any occurrence of this problem and possible suggestions.
In the properties of the printer select details and look for "spool settings' change from EMF to RAW this seems to cure a lot of ails with printers and touchy software.
Check manufacturer's site for Money and look for references to similar problem. http://support.microsoft.com/Support/Kb/Articles/Q199/7/42.asp
Backup
Try smaller batches being suggested may indicate that version will only support smaller 'bags' (of course this doesn't make sense).
I can only think of having Scandisk or Disk Doctor (and a defrag utility of your choice) look at the drives prior to transfer.
Try this link http://support.veritas.com/index_content.htm
You didn't mention your system specs...there are several problems showing for using Windows NT. Sorry for the lack of real assistance here http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
Jerry

RTR
01-19-2001, 12:44 PM
Jerry,

Thanks for your input. I did follow the links you suggested and also did some more digging and have discovered a couple of things.

Money2000: No real help in the search of the Knowledge database, but I did get a hold of someone at microsoft. Alas, he wasn't very helpful either. The solution (?), unistall and re-install. Gosh I guess I could have thought of that one myself, not a very satisfying answer, I never have liked the approach of "get a bigger hammer". Oh well....

Veritas Backup Exec: Now this WAS more interesting. I did find the exact error message noted in their Knowledge database. What is interesting is that they claim this is a limitation of the FAT32 system?? The result is that you cannot create a backup set anymore than 4 gB at any one time. So much for autobackup for those of us with HD's bigger than 4 gB (and that is just about everyone isn't it). This little fact doesn't show up in the manual or any of the product literature that I could find!!

... Ron