PDA

View Full Version : Problems Due to Virus

rthielemann
12-29-2000, 12:29 PM
Let me preface this by saying that this is the 2nd time that this problem has bitten me...okay. Now, the situation is thus......I must have received a virus via my cable modem(probably attached to a download). Upon restart, Norton Antivirus gives me a notification that a virus on some file has been detected and that the suggestion is to "Quarentine" the file. I do this.....now...this is where it bites me....the file that is quarentined is apparently a system file required to open application files, and I can't get to Norton antivirus to fix the file or retreive it because Norton is .....an application file. The last time this happened, I had to reinstall my o/s. I would rather not do this again. Anyone have any suggestions here. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

------------------
Bob

Jumby
01-03-2001, 09:02 AM
My first suggestion is to purchase Norton Personal Firewall. This is what you need to protect you since you have a cable modem. I had this problem right after I got a cable modem. Cable modems are great, but since they are "always on", you need constant protection. You might have to reload your OS, but GET THIS SOFTWARE.

BigGeek02
01-22-2001, 10:29 PM
yeah, like Jumby said, get some firewall software. You also might check this...
Get the name of the file that is infected or being "quarantined" (fancy word for isolated) and see if it's on your Windows OS installation CD somewhere. If so, you MIGHT be able to copy that file off the CD to your hard drive and get it to work. It's worth a try, it can't hurt anything.

------------------
Computer Error Haiku-
"Warning: Universe Corrupt. Reboot?(Y/N)"

Reid
01-22-2001, 10:46 PM
If you are missing a dll or vxd, they are often available for download. Use a search engine and try that method, or check this link: Dll and vxd explained (http://www.jacksonville.net/~jaginc/hd_dll.htm).

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends load Windows ME