PDA

View Full Version : Network socket connection

wayjo
01-29-2001, 04:01 PM
When trying to access my internet browser (Netscape) I get the following message:
"Netscape was unable to create a network socket connection. There maybe insufficienct system resources or the network may be down"
We are on an ethernet network and all other machines work fine. Thanks for any assistance you can give, in advance.

Ghost_Hacker
01-30-2001, 10:45 AM
If you have upgraded Internet Explorer it's possible that it has disabled Netscape. ( this was a problem about a year or two ago. Just another MS trick)

Try reinstalling Netscape.

------------------
"It's just a whisper in my Ghost"

wayjo
01-30-2001, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by wayjo:
When trying to access my internet browser (Netscape) I get the following message:
"Netscape was unable to create a network socket connection. There maybe insufficienct system resources or the network may be down"
We are on an ethernet network and all other machines work fine. Thanks for any assistance you can give, in advance.

Thanks for the help Ghost Hacker, however I have deleted Netscape and re-installed and still get the same message. Any other suggestions?

Ghost_Hacker
01-30-2001, 12:40 PM
Ummm...OK first is there a proxy server or firewall between you and the internet? Also make sure that any personel firewalls (like Zonealarm) are disabled for now.

Check that the correct DNS IP addresses are entered and that Netscape is setup for a "direct connection to the internet".(unless of course you use a proxy)

If your using NT reinstall the latest service pack. By the way which operating system do you use?

------------------

wayjo
01-30-2001, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Ghost_Hacker:
Ummm...OK first is there a proxy server or firewall between you and the internet? Also make sure that any personel firewalls (like Zonealarm) are disabled for now.

Check that the correct DNS IP addresses are entered and that Netscape is setup for a "direct connection to the internet".(unless of course you use a proxy)

If your using NT reinstall the latest service pack. By the way which operating system do you use?

Thanks again, but no cigar at this time. The DNS and IP addresses appear OK. We do have a firewall (instant internet box) but all other machines are working fine. We are talking about a Win98 machine, on a Novell 4.11 ethernet network. My tech knowledge is so-so, perhaps I am missing something obvious?

Ghost_Hacker
01-30-2001, 06:21 PM
OK....check that a default gateway is assigned to the computer. That's the last obvious thing to check.

Next we'll look at the winsock program.

If the file has been replaced by a newer version this could be what's causing the problem. To find out do a "find" for winsock.old and winsock.dll. Rename winsock.dll to winsock.new. Rename winsock.old to winsock.dll.( it may be nessary to move winsock.old to the same location as winsock.dll before renaming) Reboot and try Netscape. If this does not work reverse the steps to restore the winsock.dll file. Your second option is that your firewall " instant internet box" may install a client which use a different winsock.dll than the one now installed on your computer. Try reinstalling this client.

The last option is to use the System file Checker to check for a corrutpted file. Use these steps:

1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools,
click System Information, and then click System File Checker on the Tools
menu.

2. Click one of the following options:

- Scan For Altered Files

- Extract One File From Installation Disk

NOTE: If you click Extract One File From Installation Disk, you can specify
the file you want to extract.

3. Click Settings, choose the configuration you want to use in System File
Checker Settings, click OK, and then click Start.

Hope this helps http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ghost_Hacker (edited 01-30-2001).]

Ghost_Hacker
01-31-2001, 10:24 AM
Here's 2 other things to try.

Open Internet Explorer and see if it can browse a web site.

Try pinging one of the DNS severs. Type ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx at the command prompt. (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx = ip address of the DNS server.)

This will test if it's a problem with the workstation or just a problem with Netscape.

------------------

sea69
02-04-2001, 04:13 PM
well {{GH}}....

looks like he either crashed indeffinetely or is mad @ u.. hehe http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/tongue.gif

(I was following this)

**Note to everyone, Please let us know the final results if we r trying to help.. good or bad ..** (if u dont, we wont know if we helped or hurt)

------------------
"Remember u r 'unique'... just like everyone else!"

[This message has been edited by sea69 (edited 02-04-2001).]

Ghost_Hacker
02-05-2001, 10:20 AM
hehe.... Naw, he proably got it working after the last post or did like me and reinstalled the system. At work you just don't have time to set around and troublshoot a workstation. If you can't get it working in about an hour. It's time to reapply a ghost image or backup and move on to the next fire.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ghost_Hacker (edited 02-05-2001).]

wayjo
02-08-2001, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Ghost_Hacker:
hehe.... Naw, he proably got it working after the last post or did like me and reinstalled the system. At work you just don't have time to set around and troublshoot a workstation. If you can't get it working in about an hour. It's time to reapply a ghost image or backup and move on to the next fire.

GH and others:

Please accept my apology. I work in a small school and wear way too many hats. This issue has taken too much of my time and I sent it to our service vendor. I do greatly appreciate your help and hope I have not burned a valuable bridge. I was gone to a conference and didn't return until late Tuesday evening. That's not an excuse, just a fact. Thanks again for your help and please forgive.

Ghost_Hacker
02-08-2001, 12:24 PM
No problem...This is an informal forum and I kinda thought you wouldn't want to do a whole lot of running around to fix a netscape problem.
(I have a 15min rule myself when it comes to workstation problems)

No briges burnt here...I'm always willing to do a brain dump whenever anyone has a problem I might be able to help with.

------------------

sea69
02-09-2001, 01:26 PM
Netscape was unable to create a network
socket connection

"to create network socket connection"

1.From the Start menu, select Settings and then Control Panel.
2.Open the Network Control Panel.
3.Select TCP/IP in the list of installed network components.
4.Click the Remove button, then click OK.
5.Restart the machine.
6.Go back into the Network Control Panel.
7.Click the Add button.
8.In the Select Network Component Type window, select Protocols then click Add
button.
9.In the Select Network Protocol window, select Microsoft from the Manufacturer's
list.
10.Select TCP/IP from the Network Protocols list.
11.Click OK.
12.When asked if the existing winsock.dll file should be kept, select No. For any other
files, select Yes.

a bit late, but may help someone http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/tongue.gif

------------------
"Remember u r 'unique'... just like everyone else!"

wayjo
02-09-2001, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by sea69:
Netscape was unable to create a network
socket connection

"to create network socket connection"

1.From the Start menu, select Settings and then Control Panel.
2.Open the Network Control Panel.
3.Select TCP/IP in the list of installed network components.
4.Click the Remove button, then click OK.
5.Restart the machine.
6.Go back into the Network Control Panel.
7.Click the Add button.
8.In the Select Network Component Type window, select Protocols then click Add
button.
9.In the Select Network Protocol window, select Microsoft from the Manufacturer's
list.
10.Select TCP/IP from the Network Protocols list.
11.Click OK.
12.When asked if the existing winsock.dll file should be kept, select No. For any other
files, select Yes.

a bit late, but may help someone http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Thanks alot. Good and valuable info!