PDA

View Full Version : Wake up another computer software??

Jim T
03-12-2001, 09:49 PM
Ok, Thanks to you all, I have made it this far.....
and here is my latest situation.
I have system 1 that has a modem.
System 2 does not.
I have them networked and Internet connection sharing is working.
I can connect with system 2 as long as system 1 is on.
I have NIC cards hooked up to the WOL on the MB's.
I do not want to leave system 1 on all the time and understand I can wake it up from system 2.
I understand that I need Intel's LANDesk Client Manager or AMD's MAGIC Packet software to wake up system 1 (if off or sleeping) from system 2. (or maybe some other software??}
System 1 has an Epox 7kxa MB w/600 Athlon.
System 2 has a FIC AZ11E MB w/800 Thunderbird.
Can these softwares turn off as well as on system 1 from system 2?
Where exactly can I procure them?
Any thoughts on my situation, or on these packages/procedures or any other ideas are, as always, appreciated!!!!!!!

mjc
03-12-2001, 10:28 PM
Here is a site that has a WOL tutorial. I haven't completely read it yet but what I did read seem to answer your questions.
wakeonlan/mini-howto/ (http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/mini-howto/)

------------------
mjc
I'm making my own links list:Computer Links (http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/highrise/11/index.htm)

Jim T
03-12-2001, 10:30 PM
I'm sorry, I have to back-up.
With both systems off I turn on system 2, it fires up and turns on system 1 and then system 1 dials in.
Do I have to remove the WOL connection on system 2?
or do I have some dial-up configuration wrong?
I mean it works, but I want to tell it when to start system 1 and dial in.
Thanks all!!

Jim T
03-13-2001, 08:50 PM
Ok, everyone.
I found the culprit that was automatically turning on System 1.
It was my kid's Aol Instant Messenger junk that was on System 2.
Now I turn on Sys 2 and it does not turn on Sys 1 until I hit IE. It then turns on System 1 and connects. Sooo... I am guessing that the 3COM NIC software has the packets that will allow the WOL to work. I downloaded some software that will allow me to dis-connect from the web using any of the clients or the host. I will investigate this 3COM Utilities first to see if it has the capabilities before i load up the 3rd party stuff.
Anyway thanks for listening (I feel I have to post so I have some of it written down) and (if you all don't mind) I'll let you know what happens!!!! (The people I live with have just about had it w/me and this stuff)

kenja
03-15-2001, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the WOL link, mjc! I've been wondering what the heck a "magic packet" is, but hadn't bothered to research it.

mjc
03-15-2001, 07:41 PM
Your welcome.

I've been researching links to put on my new site. I thought I'd get my feet wet with making a somewhat useful site instead of the "here's me -- here's my family" site that so many do for their first site. So I've been looking for some that are applicable to some current problems here....

------------------
mjc
I'm making my own links list:Computer Links (http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/highrise/11/index.htm)