PDA

View Full Version : remove tax cut from my p.c

chucky cheeze
03-18-2001, 01:02 PM
I want to uninstall "tax cut" ,But I am not sure which of two options which I have at my desposil to use [1] the add/remove feature in the control panel
or [2]going to start>programs>tax cut>uninstall [tax cut has it's own uninstallprogram] I want to do the one which will do the best job of removing the application without living anything behind..
I have win.98se 128 ram 13 gig 450 mhz 5.50 int. expl.
I used turbo tax last year without any problems ,this year I tried tax cut this year and it caused my computer to crash six times in 10 minutes
I got blue screens and and had to turn off and on six times
thank you for your help

bassvax
03-18-2001, 01:48 PM
In general it is best to use the uninstaller that is provided with the software. During the uninstall you will probably be prompted to select whether to leave a shared file (usually a .dll-dynamic link library) or delete it. Just choose to leave it as it won't harm anything. You may also have to manually remove some of the files like ones that stay in the start menu. This can be done by right-clicking on the start button and selecting "open". Just find the culprit and whack it. There are other uninstall programs like Norton CleanSweep which requires that you have it enabled upon the initial installation so it can monitor the files being copied to your HD. There are surely others as well. Using the Add/Remove programs is your next choice.
As far as the duplicate files left behing from numerous installs and uninstalls...unless your are having problems I would not worry about them. There are however a few utilities for things like that...Norton CleanSweep has a couple of programs-Orphan Finder, Redundant File Finder, Duplicate FF. Reid found one also http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000165.html
I guess this was more info than you requested... http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif
Happy Zapping

------------------
Jerry

[This message has been edited by bassvax (edited 03-18-2001).]

mjc
03-18-2001, 02:51 PM
There is one thing about uninstalling TaxCut that you should be aware of; it will leave your tax file on your disk, if you plan on using TaxCut (or any other tax preparation software) next year you should either save that file to floppy (two files actually) or leave it on you computer. Plus it is a good idea to keep this file archived for several years, as it is considered (by the IRS) your duplicate or proof of your return. Other than that I've found that TaxCut is a fairly well behaved program when uninstalling (I've used it for 5 years now).

PS: I've used the TaxCut uninstall each time to remove the previous years edition.

------------------
mjc
I'm making my own links list:Computer Links (http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/highrise/11/index.htm)

[This message has been edited by mjc (edited 03-18-2001).]

Technochic
03-19-2001, 05:18 PM
My 2-cents: an addendum to the above...
As with any program you want to uninstall; if you have moved any file (such as re-arranging the start menu shortcuts, saved files, etc.) to a different directory than was originally installed (or anything that was created after the installation), be sure to go in and delete them manually. There is no other way to be sure that you have completely removed a program from your harddrive.

------------------
Laziness - the Mother of Technology...

sleddog
03-20-2001, 06:38 PM
A note about whether to use Control Panel uninstall for a program, or the program's own uninstall (from the Start Menu):

They are one and the same.

When a program with the uninstall capability is installed, *it creates* the Control Panel uninstall entry, and creates another (duplicate) uninstall option in the Start Menu. Doesn't matter which you use, they do exactly the same thing.

------------------
sleddog
[sleddog.f2s.com] (http://www.sleddog.f2s.com)

rmac
03-21-2001, 08:08 AM
If the program is written right the control panel just adds a shortcut the the programs uninstall; after uninstall reboot and run Disk Doctor to clean up any leftover files. Be sure and keep the files the IRS charges you if they have to provide you copies.