PDA

View Full Version : error with desk.cpl

Malfisher
03-30-2001, 03:11 AM
Hello all, I have a small problem and wonder if anyone can help. After upgrading one of our PC's from Win98 to Win98se I cannot access the advanced tab settings in the display properties to change the font size. Windows reports an error whilst working with desk.cpl, a dll I believe. I tried running the sfc to see if I could reinstall this file, but it seems not to exist on the installation disks. I am assuming that it is a file that is maybe created or changed somehow for each configuration of PC that Windows installs into, hence it's abscence from the Win disks. Anyone come across this before? also, it will not work from control panel/display either. Any help gratefully recieved. Mal.

------------------
I've got to be an expert at SOMTHING......err, no I aint actually.

rmac
03-30-2001, 06:42 AM
see Microsoft KB article Q193312 (115) - "Unable to Extract the Desk.cpl File from the Windows 98 CD-ROM" error

Malfisher
03-30-2001, 12:04 PM
Hi Rmac, thanks for the info, I got the file from the install disk, went through the rename, checked for duplicates ect, there were none, tried to access the disp/settings/adv tab, same result, an error while working in desk.cpl. So I got the file from the origional Win 98, as opposed to the se version, same thing, I uninstalled se, still no joy. Im baffled as to what it could be! Thanks for the info anyway, Regards, Mal.

------------------
I've got to be an expert at SOMTHING......err, no I aint actually.