PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else ever had this problem?

gossamer
04-24-2001, 03:35 PM
Occasionally while surfing the web, Netscape will no longer load a page. The progess at the bottom usually gets to a certain percentage and hangs (i.e. 4% of 162k). I've talked to several others who have experienced this, but I cannot pinpoint anything. The strange thing is that while Netscape will not work, IE will. J

------------------
Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?

hiredgoonz
04-24-2001, 07:16 PM
Yep, I've had the same problem...I also noticed that IE worked faster (loaded pages more quickly) than Netscape, so my solution was just not to use Netscape anymore...add to this the bugginess of Netscape 6, and I'm a little confused as to why anyone uses it at all...

The only time I use it now is when I'm on a Linux machine and I want to view a page that Opera can't handle...or when I'm at work, we have Sun Sparc workstations and netscape is my only choice...

mjc
04-24-2001, 08:52 PM
I ran Netscape for a couple of months and didn't like it very well, but I ocassionally had that problem, cleared it up by dumping the cache and then reloading the page. I can't quite remember how to do it, though.

------------------
mjc
Links list:Computer Links (http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/highrise/11/index.htm)

468th Rule of Aquistion: Debugging of software is foolish, there is much profit in updates and upgrades.

Rick
04-24-2001, 11:31 PM
Gossamer

I've had the same thing happen a number of times.
In addition to clearing out the cache files.
I've also noticed that it has to do with scripts (java and M$)
Also Slow ad servers

In another area If you visit a couple of sites using the same software.
The scripts from one may cause problems with the second.

It's not uncommon to find multiple threads running under netscape that were direct calls to explorer from the site.

As to why someone would use Netscape.
To Each His Own.

Yes the AOL / Netscape 6 is Slow and I agree not worth the time to download it

sea69
04-24-2001, 11:56 PM
I use IE-5.01 as my default browser. Just about NEVER have a problem viewing anything, or 'crashes'/page faults.

For the few sites that I do have problems I sometimes use Netscrape (4.72) I unfortunately find that while Netscape was my 1st browser (hence somewhat my old favorite) it is still kind of 'touchy'-- while there again ARE some sites, generally very graphically demanding (streaming video /music broadcast)-that I have a better experience using Netscape, it will crash out much easier ( for me)

I also find that if using ONLY netscape,its more stable, instead of a combination of IE, and Netscape BOTH being open, that Netscape does NOT seem to like IE being open AT ALL. Not sure but this could be a conflict between direct x (M$) -and netscape plug-ins competing for some windows function ....

This may be only me, and I have no direct answer to the original topic, except to share my experience. What you mention sounds more like a CONNECTION problem, then a browser problem http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/eek.gif

just my 2

edit: if you would be kind enough to include precisely- which version of Netscape you're experiencing this problem with I could perhaps come up with a few tips. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
pending

[This message has been edited by sea69 (edited 04-25-2001).]

gossamer
04-25-2001, 09:44 AM
Well this occurs over several different versions of Netscape. Like I said, this happens to myself as well as several others I know. I use version 4.75 but some of the others I know are on lower versions. I've ruled out connection problems because it happens on different ISPs and IE still works when Netscape does not. So if the problem lied within the connection both browsers would not work. Sometimes dumping the cache does not solve the problem. I guess the best thing to do is to write down which sites this occurs on and find out if it's running any scripts.

------------------

sea69
04-25-2001, 10:12 AM
you may thinks this is a 'funny' question, but which OS are you using ??

oh.. and lets just focus on you,.. one person at a time..lol

if anything we come up with here also helps /applies- to others problems all the better... http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
sea1_69@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by sea69 (edited 04-25-2001).]

gossamer
04-25-2001, 12:29 PM
win98se

------------------

Rick
04-28-2001, 02:59 AM
Heres an example of what will not work in Netscape.
http://sawebp1.sel.sony.com/scripts/web_access.cgi?FUNC=ENTRY&START_PAGE=DISP_HOMEPAGE

But it will in IE
Note the scripts

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 04-28-2001).]

Reid
04-28-2001, 08:07 PM
I tried the above link with Netscape 4.75 and saw for myself that it did not display anything, but by right-clicking the blank window, and selecting View Source, it shows a small portion of HTML code that includes "Your browser does not support frames".

Netscape had been my browser of choice, but more and more pages failed to display properly, so I have switched to IE and Opera.

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends install Windows ME