PDA

View Full Version : PB with OE folders' restoration

PIASTRA
10-15-2001, 06:43 AM
Hi!
I bought a new PC with WinMe, my old PC ran Win98. I saved all my OE folders to my Zip Drive (export), format is .dbx Then I tried to restore it on my new PC: I can't. I tried the following MS' OLEXP: F234061, F262118, F230208, F264872,F270670 and none is working or applicable!
Does anybody has a solution?
Thanks a lot,
Merci,
Alain, Vichy - France

Paul Komski
10-16-2001, 09:15 PM
I dont know much about Zip Drives but if you can get the relevant folder or the individual .dbx files into a temporary folder on your hard drive you should be able to import them from the new location directly from OE. One of the problems with the OE folders is that they are related to an "identity number" folder rather than a folder with a name and are therefore harder to trace. Your newly installed OE will have been given a new "identity number" plus more than one if there are multiple users on the pc. I used to trace the relevant folder by creating a new folder inside OE with a name I could then trace (like "FindMe") and then search for FindMe.dbx, which would lead me to the relevant folder. Once you have found this folder which is probably at: C/Windows/Application Data/Identities/{"Identity Number"}/Microsoft/Outlook Express you can just copy and paste your .dbx files into it (but dont replace your new folders accidentally!)

Bon Chance http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Paul Komski (edited 10-16-2001).]

PIASTRA
10-17-2001, 10:57 AM
Hi!
Unfortunately it does not work....
Thank you for helping me,
Alain

kayofcircles
10-17-2001, 11:31 AM
Piastra: There's an article at the MSKB on saving and restoring OE stuff here (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q270/6/70.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=backup&rnk=3&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=OEX). I don't know what a dbx file is..zip? If you still have access to the old system/OE, you should be able to save OE files on a floppy and follow the procedure in the article above. Sorry..don't have any other ideas.

Paul Komski
10-17-2001, 02:50 PM
Email received from Alain

Paul,
Thank you for your advices. Here what I did:
I copied my old mail box to my new HD in .dbx format called Oldmail , then I created, in my new OE a new folder called Old Mailbox, then I followed your instructions: I clicked on Oldmail, copy, then I clicked on Old Mailbox, paste and....nothing happens! it does not copy it.
This pb drives me nuts!
Thanks again for your help,
Alain

My Reply:-
If I have understood you correctly you now have a FOLDER called "Oldmail" on your HD. The files in this folder should be .dbx files; each one representing a folder from your old OE mailbox. If that is the case then try this.

Go into OE and click the File Menu then select Import and from the submenu select Messages. Then select the format of the your current version of OE. The exact procedure will be slightly different depending on both your current and your old version of OE. With OE4 you get a text box to fill in the path to a store directory (which is in fact your newly created "Oldmail" Folder) so then you would click the browse button to find the path to it. etc etc. With OE5 you should choose the option to import from a store directory (ie the same "Oldmail" folder) and also check the bottom box if the original files were OE4 to prevent duplication.

Good Luck - dont go nuts and dont give up yet!!
http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/wink.gif

PIASTRA
10-18-2001, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by kayofcircles:
Piastra: There's an article at the MSKB on saving and restoring OE stuff here (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q270/6/70.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=backup&rnk=3&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=OEX). I don't know what a dbx file is..zip? If you still have access to the old system/OE, you should be able to save OE files on a floppy and follow the procedure in the article above. Sorry..don't have any other ideas.

This article is one among 5 articles related to this pb, none of them is working for me.
I always get a msg telling me that there is no file present or the file is damaged.
Concerning the file, all OE5 folders are in .dbx format, the adress book is .wab format (I had no pb to import it) the Zip drive was used to save my OE5 folders from my old PC to restore it on my new PC.
Thanks for your help
Alain