PDA

View Full Version : Processor Architectures

tdewolf
02-26-2001, 05:09 PM
What are some of the processor architectures other than Intel/AMD's x86 and Apple's (actually Motorola's) PowerPC chips? Are there alternatives to these two major architectures?

hiredgoonz
02-26-2001, 06:15 PM
There's transmeta's crusoe, although that chip ends being used to emulate the x86 architecture in low power solutions...then there's the alpha, but that's a high-end server solution and sun sparc workstation processors but those are pretty specialized, unix based machines...so for most consumers, there's really not much else out there...

tdewolf
02-26-2001, 11:13 PM
Further to my first post, I would like to do a quick poll.
1) What OS(es) do you use and what OS(es) have you heard of?
2) What processor architecture would you like to see an operating system written for?

Paleo Pete
02-27-2001, 07:48 AM
Well, for typtcal consumer purposes there's Intel, AMD and not long ago Cyrix, I'm not sure if they're around any more. The Cyrix was looking pretty good, if they could have worked around some heat problems with the 6x86 chips, they were often held to be faster than comparable Intels, and at that time AMD was still way behind both. Now it's pretty much Intel, AMD or Mac...In the XT/AT days, NEC made a few chips, and some other companies too. Intel designed the CPU for IBM originally, and licensed their technology for other companies to use, by a lease arrangement I think, but stopped it when they released the 386, then the others were on threir own. I have 8088 chips by Intel, AMD, Cyrix, NEC, Texas Instruments and I think Panasonic.

OS's used: DOS 5 & 6.22, Win3.11 win98. Have used IBM PC DOS in the past, but briefly, and NT Workstation & Server.

Heard of: windows 1, 2, 3, 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, Linux, BeOS, Linux, Unix, OS/2, MS DOS, IBM PC DOS, FreeDOS, and another I can't think of at the moment.

I guess since I use Intels, that's the CPU I'd want an OS written for...

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Randy_tx
02-27-2001, 10:54 AM
Cyrix is trying to make a comeback under the ownership of VIA Technologies and have released some new cpu's out just in the last few weeks ...up to 700 mhz in a socket 370 http://www.viatech.com/products/cyr3.htm

------------------
"As hard as a rock & dumb as a brick"...Windows CEMeNT

Paleo Pete
03-02-2001, 04:21 AM
I'd like to see that happen, the two "big boys" need something to bring them back to this planet...and I've always liked Cyrix too. I have a 6x86 PR+ 133 now, just set it up to test it, running win3.11. It does very well. Only problem I ever had with Cyrix was when trying to use them with win98, they didn't seem to like win98 for some reason, maybe that's been worked out by now...with 3.x and 95 they work well, but you have to make sure and use a good fan since they do tend to run a bit warm. The one I'm running now is just barely over body temp, I can sit there and hold my finger on the heat sink all day and barely tell it's warm. About the same as the P-233MMX in this machine...and with 32MB RAM behind it, that's a smokin' win3.11 machine.

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

hilmi
05-27-2001, 10:16 AM
i'm wondering if anybody can help me. i'm looking for the differences between 16-bit processor and 32 bit processor. and i'll be very grateful if anybody can get me some info on that. thanks.

------------------
rest

Paleo Pete
05-27-2001, 10:50 PM
The Processor (http://www.pcguide.com/ref/cpu/index.htm) section of the PC Guide would probably give you a much more accurate and detailed overview of the CPU than I can. You'll have to go through the whole section to find what you're looking for, but you'll learn a lot in the process...

------------------
So many idiots, and only six bullets...

hilmi
05-29-2001, 11:34 PM
not what i really want actually. what i need is more like comparisons between 16 bit processors and 32 bit. it's more like how 386 is better than the previous organization and architecture. thanks.

------------------
rest

yawningdog
05-30-2001, 06:54 PM
Quite simply, if 16 bits is a two lane highway, then 32 bits is a four lane highway. It means more data throughput at a given speed.

------------------
Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler.

psabi
05-31-2001, 11:39 AM
Related to your query is the whole "64 Bit processors" that just came out-

CPU's with 64 bit external data buses and registers are already here - the new "64 bit" expands the address bus from 32 to 64 bit.
(paraphrased from Michael Meyers)

Intel was fairly low key with the Itanium intro. Seems the current sentiment is to wait until the "McKinley" version comes out next year. By then, AMD should have their 64 bit out as well. Which is fine by me, because that means that as Joe Consumer feels the need to get "McKinley", they will let me take those pesky and slow P4's, P3's, and Athlon's off their hands...

hilmi
05-31-2001, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by psabi:
Related to your query is the whole "64 Bit processors" that just came out-

CPU's with 64 bit external data buses and registers are already here - the new "64 bit" expands the address bus from 32 to 64 bit.
(paraphrased from Michael Meyers)

Intel was fairly low key with the Itanium intro. Seems the current sentiment is to wait until the "McKinley" version comes out next year. By then, AMD should have their 64 bit out as well. Which is fine by me, because that means that as Joe Consumer feels the need to get "McKinley", they will let me take those pesky and slow P4's, P3's, and Athlon's off their hands...

------------------
rest

hilmi
05-31-2001, 03:26 PM
How about changing a 386 to an 8086. two memorys will be put out of course but then still some other things will be disabled. how do we figure that out?

------------------
rest