PDA

View Full Version : Welcome everyone! PLEASE READ :)

Charles Kozierok
06-30-2002, 08:43 PM
Hello everyone and welcome to our new digs! ;) It took the entire day to set the new forums up but I think it was worth it. The new forums solve many of the problems with the old software, and also provide us with numerous additional features that I think we will all enjoy.

Not only is the software new, I have also taken the opportunity of this move to completely restructure the forums themselves. You will notice some new forums, some old forums, and some that have been renamed.

I am sure you all are very excited about the new forums and software. You probably also have a bazillion or two questions. I am going to try to address some of the more important issues in this posting. I will be answering some other common (and anticipated) common questions using the new Frequently Asked Questions forum. I must ask you all to:

Please be patient. Don't overwhelm myself or the moderators with tons of questions all at once. Please take some time, look around the forums and get comfortable with the software. Much of your initial confusion may resolve itself if you do this.
Check the vBulletin FAQ by clicking on the "f.a.q." button at the top of each page of the software. You will find many answers to common questions about the software there.
Understand that there will probably be some quirks related to the new software. I have done my best to verify that everything is functional before going live but whenever you start using a new system, there will be some gotchas.

Now, with that said, I am not going to try to "cut off at the pass" some of the more common questions that I anticipate regarding this move. First, issues related to the move and the new software itself:

The migration of data from the old software was a complete success, as far as I have been able to determine. All threads, postings, users and settings have been moved to the new software and you should be able to use it as before.
You will probably have to log in using your user ID and password. There should be no problem with mixed-up passwords. Once you log in, you do not have to enter you user ID and password each time you post.
You will notice that many postings have what appears to be a duplicate signature. This is a result of a discrepancy between the old and new software. The new software (IMO) implements signatures the right way: they are kept distinct from the post text and displayed on the fly. The old software stuck the signature right into the text, so there was no way for the new software to separate it out. Ugly, but I can't do anything about it. This will not happen with new postings.
Paleo Pete and mjc are still moderators. They do not show up next to each forum because they are moderators for all the forums.
Each user has their own Control Panel which can be accessed using the "user cp" button. There you will find a staggering number of features you can access to customize the software to your own needs. This includes such niftiness as setting your time zone so all posts display in your local time and much more.
All threads currently show zero views. I don't know why this is. It may be because the view tracking wasn't turned on in the old software. Whatever, don't worry about it. :)

Now, some description of the changes to the forums themselves:

Forums that have postings in them already are ones from the old software, some of which have been renamed. New ones are of course empty. It's pretty simple to figure out which old forums correspond with which new ones. More on this below.
Due to the shuffle, some posts are now technically in the "wrong" forum. The moderators may move some threads if they feel like it, but mostly we will just not worry about this, and in time it won't matter much. It would be too much work to sort everything out completely.
The new "Frequently Asked Questions" forum is read-only and is for myself and the mods to put answers to questions that get asked all the time so we don't have to answer them all the time. :)
You can reply to postings in "Announcements" (like this one) but not start new ones (finally! ;) )
The two forums "How Do I..." and "How Does This Work..." have been removed from the active forums. The reason is that they were far too vague and were being used as a dumping ground for a myriad of questions and troubleshooting matters. All postings should now be put into the correct hardware, software or networking forum.
There weren't new forums that matched well what the two "How" forums used to be for, so they are now at the bottom in the Miscellaneous section. To allow folks to continue discussions they were in the middle of, these forums are now set like Announcements: you can post replies but not start new topics. When activity dies down on those forums, they will be locked.
The former Troubleshooting section has been split into Hardware and Operation Systems/Software sections. These are now for both troubleshooting and other questions of the appropriate hardware/software.
"Core Hardware" is what System Troubleshooting used to be. Multimedia is of course Audio and Video, and the others are pretty obvious. "Case, Power and Cooling" is new.
The former "Operating System Troubleshooting" section is now "Windows". Sorry Linux guys, but I made the decision based solely on which OS the majority of posts were on in that forum. ;) You guys now have your own forum, enjoy.
There is a new Networking section containing four new forums.
There were a number of requests for "special topics" that of interest to folks but don't really fit in well with hardware/software troubleshooting and questions. I still think it's good to give people what they want, so I have created a section for "Special Interest Forums". The three so far are Performance, Programming and Gaming. I can add more if there is interest.

Phew. Well, that ought to about do it for now. Enjoy! Feel free to follow up here with comments or questions (after you check out the FAQs etc.) or use the Suggestion Box.

--charles

Dek
06-30-2002, 09:10 PM
I wanted to be one of the first to respond to the posting.
I think I like the face lift.
Like the seperation of "How do I ..."
Dislike the lilac scroll bar.

Jiggy
06-30-2002, 09:18 PM
well guys you have out done yourselfs, the site now reborn.
and its nice to see a Gaming forum for us young lads. and one for Linux users to.

forgive me, im young. Jiggy

Rick
06-30-2002, 09:20 PM
I for like the new layout.
The options are slick also

Charles Kozierok
06-30-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Dek
I wanted to be one of the first to respond to the posting.
I think I like the face lift.
Like the seperation of "How do I ..."
Dislike the lilac scroll bar.

Thanks to all who have replied so far.

I changed the color of the scroll bar to match the light blue color of the table header. It looks a bit better that way I hope.

(This software is so customizable that it's a bit head-dizzying trying to find stuff. You can change almost anything without hacks!).

c

Jiggy
06-30-2002, 09:37 PM
will the icons under the user name be back in use?

Steve
06-30-2002, 09:59 PM
Thanks ixl, :)

This is great! It'll take me awhile (probably forever) to get used to the changes but change is exiting! :D This seems like a real labor of love. Thanks for including my favorite icon :confused: That's me. (most of the time)

A definate upgrade!

Mitch Hatfield
06-30-2002, 10:00 PM
On behalf of myself and all fellow British Forum members, could I add my thanks for a huge job, very well done!!!

What a way to spend a Sunday. But it is surely well worth the effort, gigantic as it will have seemed.

I'll reserve any further comments until it's all flowed over me, but I'm pleased that lost that lilac, charles. The blue is a lot easier on the eye!

Good night from the UK!

john5211
06-30-2002, 10:08 PM
I like the new look. Is there a reason that HTML is turned off?

John

buck52
06-30-2002, 10:24 PM
Howdy

Nice clean look

Tried a test post in the testing forum and it didn't post :confused:

buck

ranchdog
06-30-2002, 10:56 PM
What a Deal...... !!

:)

jabarnutcase
06-30-2002, 11:23 PM
Great job guys:D

Like a dope, I read ixl's "Welcome- Please read" in full, then proceded to post a "Hey what do you think" in after hours instead of responding here:o

Anyway, I think it's way cool.
Congrats on a job well done!

:D :D :D

Samantha
07-01-2002, 03:20 AM
As someone who moved forums from UBB5 to vBulletin, I believe you and the members will be very happy with the move. The improved search alone is worth it.

I re-did just about every vBulletin template to streamline the pages, improve the HTML, make greater use of CSS, and make sure the pages load fast and display properly in any browser. I'd be happy to share templates, CSS, or help with advice.

One suggestion: There's a lot of room on the composition pages (new thread, reply) for a larger box for writing messages. I changed our to use fixed width text, which solves the problem of different browsers calculating the width differently, and set the width to 66 characters. So nice not to have to peer at small text when writing a message. :)

The FAQ forum is a great idea, but what we've found is that it works out to be mostly for the benefit of the moderators, so that they don't have to repeatedly type or copy the same answers to common questions, but can just post a link to the FAQ. No matter what you do, many people will not check the FAQ or search before posting a FAQ. :)

Charles Kozierok
07-01-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Samantha:
As someone who moved forums from UBB5 to vBulletin, I believe you and the members will be very happy with the move. The improved search alone is worth it.

There's so much that is just so much better about this software. I'm very pleased with it so far.

I re-did just about every vBulletin template to streamline the pages, improve the HTML, make greater use of CSS, and make sure the pages load fast and display properly in any browser. I'd be happy to share templates, CSS, or help with advice.

I don't want to spend too much time on extensive changes. However, if you feel there are some specific mods that will help things run better, please share them with me (PM is probably best). I have already made the changes you suggested in the SB by the way.

The FAQ forum is a great idea, but what we've found is that it works out to be mostly for the benefit of the moderators, so that they don't have to repeatedly type or copy the same answers to common questions, but can just post a link to the FAQ. No matter what you do, many people will not check the FAQ or search before posting a FAQ. :)

I'm sure you're quite correct on this. :)

Thanks, and thanks to everyone else who has replied so far as well.

Charles Kozierok
07-01-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by john5211
I like the new look. Is there a reason that HTML is turned off?

John

It's turned on now -- after I worked through some (justified) concerns on the part of my moderators. Whether it stays on or not depends on whether people are reasonable with it. I feel we are all adults here and hope we can use it responsibly.

Mitch Hatfield
07-01-2002, 04:15 PM
Are we going to get our "Geek" icons back, please?

I do apologise if someone already raised and I've missed it (I sure do need a Spell Checker!):confused: :confused:

Vic 970
07-01-2002, 06:07 PM
well done guys. I certainly like the look of it so far.

Mitch Hatfield
07-02-2002, 09:22 PM
Grateful thanks for the return of the "Geek" icons, Charles!

Anychancae of a Spell Checker?:) :)

bassvax
07-02-2002, 10:36 PM
Looking Great Charles!!!

Thanks for taking the time to work thru it! Thanks to Samantha for adding the suggestion a few moons ago :)

ErnieK
07-04-2002, 04:16 PM
Charles
As has been previously said. Fantasmagorical job! ;)

I think you can now sit back for a couple of hours and take a breather.

Pachomius2000
08-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Thanks for this forum, and your online PC Guide.

But tell me, for my own consuelo de bobo*, do you also face some annoyances from your use of your computers and have to fix the troubles every so often. ONce a day or more or less?

And do you right away succeed in fixing the problems?

If only using the computer were like using the typewriter; I never had any trouble with typewriters which I could not fix in less than fifteen minutes. The hardware is practically indestructible and the software is all in my mind and most dependable as long as I can still have the brain function to know what the typewriter is for, and remember how to operate it.

When if ever shall we have computers with the dependability and simplicity of the typewriter?

Pachomius2000

*Spanish: consolation of the dunce.

ErnieK
08-12-2004, 10:58 PM
This one is golden oldie.

Thread is over two years old

PrntRhd
08-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Yeah,
Pachomius2000 is commenting on lots of them.

Donn
08-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Winston Churchill once said: "AAAAACHOOOO," as he was sneezing, but the real question is, 'is that just a re-statement of the obvious, or merely an extension of it?' since he said it, technically, AFTER he sneezed. It's hard to tell sometimes if one is re-stating the obvious or merely continuing it on another plane.

I mean, if all acts begin in the spirit, then, in its purest form a sneeze would be silent, right? So, it's almost a Buddhist Koan: to contemplate the silent sneeze. You know, to detach the pure act from its outward expression.

I wonder about these things sometime, but, then again...is THAT a re-statement of the obvious, or merely an extension of it on another plane?

Yet, again: isn't THAT a question we could pose concerning all of life?

jimmy5k
02-07-2005, 03:46 AM
uhh, love the look, never saw the old version. but one minor question, wheres the "code of conduct" list. the 2000 commandments for tools and wierdos...

i'd like to think that advertising other sites such as company b's pirate download vault is a widely known nono. might that be something to do? if its already there, ignore this.

Hey, how about a forum for debate of long standing rules... oh wait thats most of the threads :p

it must suck being a moderator

Whyzman
02-07-2005, 08:56 AM
it must suck being a moderatorHmmmmmmm.....No. Actually, it's amazing that 99.9% of people visiting here for assistance with computer problems don't abuse the good will of the folks who volunteer their time to help.

For the most part, people natively police their own actions. :)

That "vacuum" sound you might be referring to for those of us who are moderators are actually the collective "sighs" of all the regulars here when we encounter that small segment of the population who elect to abuse the privilege of being here. :(

Hanson47
04-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Just wanted to reply and say hello

Im a new user to this Group looks like there is a lot of interesting discussion going down in here.

Im looking forward to reading them and hey who know I might just learn something for a change

All the best to everybody in this group hope to meet you online sometime

Paul

bassman
04-22-2005, 12:11 PM
Hello Paul, and welcome to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif.
This really is a great place and I look forward to chatting with you some time ;)