PDA

View Full Version : New search not searching

sea69
07-04-2002, 09:25 AM
Hi, I had heard how the "new search" engine on the forums was so much better- I can't get it to even do a SIMPLE search.

While trying to get a search for one of my own posts I typed in:

xp anti-spy It couldn't even search at ALL for this combination (like the old one would have)

says something about needing 5 letters or characters??

in other words it doesn't work!

jabarnutcase
07-05-2002, 12:44 AM
Sea-

I noticed that too- I tried to find a post of mine and I typed in the exact words of my original post.

It came up with this: The search term you specified is under the minimum word length (5) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.

How many posts are 5 words or more?
Are we both missing something here?:confused:

Rick
07-05-2002, 08:36 AM
Itís a limit of the search engine
It requires the WORD to be at least 5 letters in length

I got the same message a couple of times
Trying to remember what other term that was in a post that fit.

Anti-spy works But it must be the first word with no spaces
At least it worked for me

xp anti-spy reads the XP first and kicks the search out as an error

Paleo Pete
07-05-2002, 08:46 AM
I'll make a note of this...

Apparently the search function is currently limited to words containing 5 letters or more. The search function does work, but if your search string contains a word with less than 5 letters it gives you the minimum word length error message.

Sea...when was this topic posted? You might try searching by your user name...if it wasn't too long ago it might not be hard to find.

I tried winxp anti* and got 5 results, none of them a post by that name....

I'll make a note of this and see what can be done about it. Thanks for the heads up.

sea69
07-05-2002, 11:06 AM
thanks

Charles Kozierok
07-05-2002, 01:22 PM
Y'all have noticed that the new search engine is far faster than the old one. This is because it is database-driven and indexed. The indexing requires a minimum word size to prevent it from getting overloaded.

I will look into reducing the minimum word size if it won't cause other problems.