PDA

View Full Version : My laptop shuts off

matureladys
07-07-2002, 05:13 PM
PLEASE HELP

WHEN I AM ON MY LAPTOP AFTER A WHILE IT JUST SHUTS OFF. WITH THE ADAPTER OR WITHOUT THE ADAPTER. WHAT DO YOU THINK IS WRONG?

Jacko
07-08-2002, 10:10 AM
Your laptop may be over heating or the battery may be faulty. Also, Check if the battery is actually charging up - its possible that the adapter may be faulty or have a broken wire in the lead, this could:

a) Cause the battery not to charge up fully or at all.
b) Cause your Laptop to simply turn off while still plugged in at the wall (providing theres no juice in the battery!)

Its could also be some sort of software error, but the most likely fault is overheating! Check that the fans work. Most laptop designs dont have the fans blowing all the time, but check that they do turn on and off!

matureladys
07-08-2002, 03:47 PM
HOW DO I CHECK TO SEE IF THE FANS ARE GOING ON AND OFF?
HOW WILL I KNOW IF I NEED AN ADAPTER? IS THERE A WAY TO
CHECK FROM THE LAPTOP. I AM NEW WITH COMPUTERS SO PLEASE
DIRECT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.:(

Ghost_Hacker
07-09-2002, 11:40 AM
HOW DO I CHECK TO SEE IF THE FANS ARE GOING ON AND OFF?

You can normally hear the fans running after awhile. If you laptop is still under warrenty, you might want to have it serviced. The few times this has happened to my laptops the problem was a short in the motherboard.

Also your computer may just be set to "suspend" or "standby" mode. You can check that by going into your BIOS and looking for any "power management" options, then simply turn those options off. Then check your power management options in your operating system. (XP has a "hibernate" mode that shuts down you computer. So you might want to check that it's not "on".)

Good Luck :)

miclight2
06-11-2005, 08:10 PM
PLEASE HELP

WHEN I AM ON MY LAPTOP AFTER A WHILE IT JUST SHUTS OFF. WITH THE ADAPTER OR WITHOUT THE ADAPTER. WHAT DO YOU THINK IS WRONG?

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ON AN INSPIRON 1100 AND THE FANS DO OPERATE LIKE DESIGNED, HOWEVER, THE LAPTOP STILL SHUTS OFF....ANY FURTHER HELP ON THIS??????

classicsoftware
06-11-2005, 08:21 PM
miclight2:

Welcome to http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif forums.

You will need to create a new post and not piggyback onto another post that is almost three years old.

Please create a new post with full systems specs and a detailed explanation of what is happening. When it started. If any software or hardware was recently installed etc..