PDA

View Full Version : New policy: avatar size reduction

Charles Kozierok
07-08-2002, 07:11 PM
Pursuant to some valid criticism and suggestions by several people here, I have reduced the maximum size of custom avatars and the maximum file size as well, both by about 50%. This has been done to reduce page load times and cut down on the "visual distraction" that some people experience with the avatars.

The new maxima are:

Dimensions: 100 pixels square (10,000 pixels total). Was 150x150 before (22,500).
File size: 5 kb (was 10 kb).

I believe the software will still let you use older avatars that don't fit these new rules. I would ask all those who have avatars to check their avatars and change them on their own if they are too large. Again, please don't use excessively animated graphics either, please.

P.S. My own avatar is too large for these new dimensions but it will take me a couple of days to fix it.

c

GreenNV
03-20-2003, 11:54 AM
Hi ixl,

Yes, I agree...100 pixels is large enough but I'm wondering also, am I not allowed to use an avatar yet because I'm a new member? I've went into my profile and there's no avatars there so I'm assuming that's the case, right? Thanks for your help. :D

kayofcircles
03-20-2003, 12:04 PM
Yes, GreenNV , you must have over a thousand posts to get an avatar. That was a policy decision made way back last July.

GreenNV
03-20-2003, 12:07 PM
Very well then, thank-you kayofcircles, just as I thought. ;) :)

YODA74
03-21-2003, 10:18 AM
File size: 5 kb (was 10 kb)

Might as well just do away with the file attatchments, you get that small not worth squinting to see what your looking at?:)

jabarnutcase
03-21-2003, 10:25 AM
I don't know YODA...Yours present Avatar is less than 1KB and only 68x73 pix and it still looks pretty cool to me! ;)

(Edit) Um...Yes, I see you were talking about the file attachments...Guess that is getting pretty small. :p

As far as the "visual distraction" some people are complaining about, they do have the option to turn off avatars so they don't have to be distracted. :)

GreenNV
03-21-2003, 11:08 AM
I'm certainly not going to dwell on this being the newcomer here and all but I really am just curious as to why there are 'no avatars', especially since jabar made a good point about turning them off for those who find them to be a distraction. And before you tell me that this board is unique and like no other ( and I certainly don't question that but...), I just wanna say that I've never been to a forum where you couldn't choose an avatar right from the beginning. I think avatars kinda' tells who we are, our personalities to a certain point, doncha' think? Personally myself, I like to put up a picture of myself as my avatar, show who I really am...I think it's a much more honest approach and puts that personal touch to the board but that's MHO. Okay, you can all throw your tomatoes at me now, I'm finished. *LOL* ;) :D

kayofcircles
03-21-2003, 11:20 AM
Jabar ...You guys both need to look and see that GreenNV pulled up an "old" thread...the whole thing was "settled" way back in July, okay? And yes, I have a very slow dialup connection and don't really "like" the avatars, so I turned them off a LONG time ago.

GreenNV : If you run a Search here, I am sure that you can find the discussion back in July on avatars.

jabarnutcase
03-21-2003, 11:25 AM
Hi again GreenNV!
Actually we, (the forum members), had a rather lengthly discussion and voted about the use of avatars some time ago.

One of the things that make this forum unique is the lack of a whole bunch of avatars...I like to keep them turned on and I think they could, without some control, become very distracting indeed.
The other cool thing is that you have to sort of "earn them" (to be taken lightly) and need X number of posts for changing you description- (Above your user name), adding an Avatar etc.

I do think though that it would be kind of cool to be able to post a photo of ourselves in our "profile". As an option of course!

I was going to add a link to our vote and discussion about the use of avatars, but it was quite some time ago, and it might take you all day to read it!
:p

(EDIT!!!!!) Wow Kay!...I'm usually very careful about that. Got me on that one! :o
And yes GreenNV- Try to be careful about how old a thread is before you reply. And I obviously need to practice what I preach!!!
:p

GreenNV
03-21-2003, 11:33 AM
OH guys, I'm so sorry for rehashing this topic then. I should have known better being an Admin. myself and I'll be more careful next time to check out the dates of topics before I post to them. Consider the topic dropped. ;) :D

Budfred
03-21-2003, 09:34 PM
Kay,

If you have avatars turned off you have never seen my boys. I have a picture of my Bassett Hound and Miniature Dachshund for my avatar. I appreciate you pointing out that this was an old thread, I thought I was going to have to shrink my boys down to puppies again.....:D

YODA74
03-21-2003, 11:29 PM
Well we were just following you Kay (future Mod)

kayofcircles
03-22-2003, 10:29 AM
Yoda..lol! I don't think so..have true awe and appreciation for mjc and Pete, and no desire whatsoever for their position...:D Was just trying to be polite above..

Budfred..well, am sorry I haven't seen your dogs, but remember I have that real speedy 26,400 bps and recently came here with new puter I was configuring and it was loading incredibly slowly..and I realized it was because I had to login with new puter, and everything was still "turned on" until after I logged in.

Charles Kozierok
03-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Hi guys...

Yeah, this was settled back in July. However, nothing is written in stone around here. If there is consensus on making custom titles or avatars available earlier, that's fine with me. (But I do want significant input before I will make a change.)

c

jabarnutcase
03-22-2003, 12:00 PM
Wow! I wouldn't want to go through that discussion again. :eek: :D

Concerning the old poll we had, I think we agreed overwhelmingly to leave things just as they are (were), and I like it just fine! (IMHO of course) ;)

Hurry! Lock this thread before it's too late!!! :D

Fruss Tray Ted
03-22-2003, 12:35 PM
Just look at your post count 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004... You'll have an avatar in no time now so who are you to care :confused: :D

Kay,
You really should turn them on once in a 'greaat' while to check on things just for an hour or so.
Example: Charles' pic. He still looks the same as when he first posted it. As far back as I noticed it anyway. AAMOF, it looks as if he may have looked this way for a loooonng time!!! :p

Mods. admins.,
Correct me if I'm wrong but...
Kay,
When you first started using your new pc, there was a folder that needed to be downloaded from this server if I'm seeing things right. In C: do you have a 'routing-files' folder? Buzz through the pics if you do. They are pics of all the icons here and to save time and server load, rather than redownloading everything, the site just redirects common items (icons) to be shown directly from your harddrive which in effect saves time for all involved.

If the avatar thing were set up in a way that you could not use different ones in an 'on the fly' way, they could be D/L'ed too into the same or similar folder and would not affect your browsing speed by much if any. Just your RAM would be taxed and very little of your connection speed.
---------------

But all in all I like it the way it is and have not decided whether I will or not use one. If I do it will be a careful selection of which I have not found a good enough one yet (A few funny ones but nothing I would want to keep).

Carry on folks... Old or not, good thread!

jabarnutcase
03-22-2003, 12:48 PM
Ja-blabbermouth-nut... Easy for YOU to say...
Glad you added a big grin...I might have thought you were serious! :D

Oh, And even though I am reaching that magical moment in time, I doubt you will see an avatar from me any time too soon.
(The original point being, I am glad everyone can't get them as soon as they join, and that there is a limit on size....Hence the "circus atmosphere" people originally objected to.) ;)

Fruss Tray Ted
03-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Hehe, You know well enough by now, there isn't a serious bone in my body. They're all "Fun-ny Bones"! :p

I should be one to say about your post count, I'm nippin' at your heels as it is... ;)

jabarnutcase
03-22-2003, 01:08 PM
Yea, I knew! (Takes a nut to know a nut! :D ) Carry on folks! :rolleyes: ;)

mjc
03-22-2003, 07:15 PM
1024 is the magic number.....1K, so to speak....

Flick
03-22-2003, 10:39 PM
As I said back in July, I have never liked the idea of this board even using avatars. They take up too much load time and when "avatar envy" sets in, then it becomes a real pain in the neck. Enough said.

Reid
03-22-2003, 11:10 PM
Flick, I just noticed that the seven avatars the system gave you are about 900 bytes each, so that is around 6300 bytes total. My custom avatar is 1170 bytes :)

Flick
03-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Hi Reid! So, you and I are now eating up 7,470 bytes. I realize that avatars can be turned off. However, I also realize that for every vain bit that is used, the search feature is also reduced. I don't think my status or your status on this board is worth the space. I stand by my previous post.

Reid
03-23-2003, 10:12 PM
I would not care if the personal avatars went away. It seems like the standard avatars should have a disable setting too (or am I just missing it?) I will leave the 8 ball since it takes fewer bytes than the standard ones.

While checking the preferences, I turned off the sigs to clean things up.

kayofcircles
03-24-2003, 10:45 AM
Bit of a bummer..I hadn't noticed that the little icons under my name were 900 plus apiece. But the truth is..I don't want to give those up. I "earned" those..dad gum it..by coming around and trying to help and asking questions..and maybe just good attendance. Quite often now there is nothing I can help with, and therefore don't post, but I have been here almost everyday for almost two years...maybe missed 4 days altogether.

Charles Kozierok
03-24-2003, 03:42 PM
I know about the little icons being 1k or so... I don't really care. They give the site flavor, and it's just not that big of a deal. Regulars will have them cached once they open a few pages anyway.

I could save a lot more bandwdith by shutting down After Hours. :D

c

jabarnutcase
03-24-2003, 05:02 PM
:D

There, now that I've placed my big bandwidth grin, I just wanted to say I agree about the 1k icons....They have always been unique to this site. I remember the first time I came here thinking how "cool" they were.
Then, I also remember you "hacking" them back in when we started the new boards because everyone missed them.

As I mentioned before, I think our original poll and discussion to basically leave things the way they were worked out nicely. ;)
Thanks for everything Charles.

***Hey "Fruss"! Check it out! My 1024 post!
Hmmm.....I think I'll pass on the Avatar for now, but I sure do like my little icons!!! HeHe :p ;)

Fruss Tray Ted
03-24-2003, 05:34 PM
Please, please, please say you're kidding!!! :eek: I work all day. Not like you other (pencil) button pushers... (just kidding :) ) And when beer thirty, err, Grape Nehi hour comes along, I need a place to relax and After hours is my Lounge of choice. I like how the furniture is laid out and the gang doesn't squabble too badly in who gets to sit in what.

Regulars will have them cached once they open a few pages anyway Charles,
That's what I was trying to say to Kayofcircles in my last post in this thread. And wondering if anything more could go into the cache folder of the members. Maybe even an extra folder. As is, it's only a 32.7 kilobyte file. I could stand to hold much more than that if it were to help bandwidth and other issues with this site. Or even my dial-up speed, maybe help even more for those with slower connections in the outskirts of town.

Reid, Please put that 8 Ball back where it belongs so I can sink it in the upper right pocket! Who's turn to shoot is it anyway:confused:

Pre-edit: Hey Jabbarnut see you posted just ahead of me. Congrats! Now I need to post this mess before I can see if and what you chose as an avatar...

Budfred
03-24-2003, 09:28 PM
I am sorry if my vanity is slowing you folks down....:(

That said, I must go preen in the mirror for all my admiring fans...:D

GreenNV
03-25-2003, 07:34 AM
Hehehe, would ya mind sharing that mirror with me Budfred cuz it seems I'm guilty too. :( I'm sorry that I drudged up such a sore spot for everyone. I'm really sorry guys, I'll be more careful next time, I promise. ;) :p :D

gracious
04-03-2003, 09:53 AM
What a riot!!:) I was reading these posts from the thread that Greennv dug up and I found myself caught up in the whole avatar thingy and I got thinking "Say, I feel like I am sitting and watching the U.N debate world policies!":eek: Wowzers, it was kind of scary, too close to the real world. It doesn't bother me one way or the other about avatars although MJC your avatar is pretty kewl and so is budfreds. I am just sitting here grinning my butt off because I made it to the phone icon. WHOPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

gracious:D