PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Will Not Shutdown

Max Power
07-09-2002, 01:09 PM
Dell Inspiron5000e Windows 2Kpro laptop will not shut down automatically. The screen eventually goes black except for a blinking white cursor at top left and the green power light. At this point if I want to shut down I have to press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.....major pain.
Thanks

mjc
07-09-2002, 01:44 PM
Try shutting down everything you have running in the background (one at a time) and see if it will continue and shutdown correctly.

Also if you have a shutdown sound enabled try disabling it.

Max Power
07-09-2002, 03:57 PM
Thanks mjc, I tried your advice and removed some processes that I thought might be trouble in Task Manager. That didnt work so I ended all processes that I could. The ones that were left I got an access denied message and could not remove. I guess those are critical windows processes. Anyways, all that didnt work either.
There is no shutdown sound enabled.
Also I forgot to mention that it does the same thing when restarting.

Max Power
07-13-2002, 01:57 PM
The problem is the CD-RW drive. I disabled it in Device Manager and the laptop restarted without a problem. When I enable , no restart. I uninstalled\reinstalled but same problem. Unfortunately there are no updated drivers or software available for my Mat****a UDJA330. I think the whole company packed up their shop and moved to Tahiti after they made my drive. Also Dell informs me that since I upgraded from Win98 to Win2000pro within my warrenty its not their problem, it's Microsoft's. I guess I am stuck.

classicsoftware
07-20-2002, 10:04 PM
Lesson learned:

DON'T BUY DELL!!!

Their service is poor at best. They made the laptop and they should at least help you troubleshhot the problem.

As for Win2K drivers try:

www.windrivers.com

www.driversguide.com

and see if there Win2K drivers for your drive

Good luck

Budfred
02-04-2007, 11:46 PM
hogie,

I moved your question to its own thread... Please start your own thread when you have a question rather than trying to take over someone else's.... Your thread is here:

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=54052