PDA

View Full Version : totaly newbee

ken_r
07-20-2002, 01:56 PM
I would like to set up a wireless sys with 3 computers and connect to a broadband. What is a good choice,that wont cost an arm and a leg. Second is is possible to have it set up so any of the sys can go onto the internet by themselves?

jabarnutcase
07-20-2002, 02:50 PM
Hi Ken_R

I don't know what your definition of "an arm and a leg" is, but I have had good luck with A Linksys router to achieve what you want.
I haven't used their wireless models, but have heard they work well.

Here (http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=23&prid=415) is a link to their site that also has a little tab called "educate me".
Don't run out just yet and buy everything though, as there are sure to be other opinions comming your way soon! :)

sea69
07-25-2002, 01:29 AM
netgear ethernet HUB with room to plug in 3 computers:

$49.00 (us)

plug it in and go- no need to use M$ ICS (micro$oft internet connection sharing).

can you say "hubba bubba"??

I have it and it worked so easy I thought something was wrong.

;)

wiltrot
07-25-2002, 04:31 AM
I'm using a Linksys EthterFast Wireless AP + Cable/DSL Router with 4-port Switch, cost $100. And a wireless USB Network Adapter, cost $100. You can go with a Router with out cable ports and save some money. There is a PCI wireless adapter that cost less as well. The USB is much easyer to setup. I have two computers sharing cable Internet. Works great, just as fast as with direct cable connected. The only negative thing I can say is that file transfers between your computers are slower but I find that too be no big deal. I recommend that you setup everything (read the instructions) and call tech support and they'll be glad to step you through the configurations on line.