PDA

View Full Version : copying pictures from the internet

browncanth
08-01-2002, 02:06 AM
hello friends,

it has been a while since i posted but i have run into an issue i think is worthy of a few lines.

if i am saving a picture from the net to my hard drive it wants to save a a .bmp but when i go to the proerties of the picture it is .jpg

i wonder why when i click save as it converts from .jpg to .bmp

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mjc
08-01-2002, 02:48 AM
When you right click on it and select save as you should be given several options...one of which is .bmp. If not then the file associations may have become corrupted.

Have you installed any imaging/graphics programs lately?

Another web browser?

What browser and version are you currently using?

browncanth
08-04-2002, 01:31 PM
no i havent installed any imaging programs lately.

it is very wierd, but i just dont get the option to save as a jpeg anymore I.E. wants to save all the pictures as bitmap. i did a repair of I.E. but that didnt help. do you know if there is a way to uninstall I.E. and reinstall safely?

Whyzman
08-04-2002, 02:16 PM
Is it across the board, or only with .jpgs?

Have you tried saving a .gif? If you haven't, the http://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif logo is a convenient gif to give it a try.

mjc
08-04-2002, 03:47 PM
Here's one to try....

Q260650 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q260650&)

browncanth
08-04-2002, 04:41 PM
all i had to do was delete temp files and now i have the option to save as jpeg

thanks for the extra help

have a great day

Whyzman
08-04-2002, 04:47 PM
You may want to address the Temp File dumping on a regular basis. It can also slow down your computer as it attempts to perform routine tasks...such as the saving files scenario you just experienced.

There are some freeware programs to assist in reigning in Temp File growth.

Hang on just a bit and I'm sure some of the folks will provide you with links to some of the tools for "housecleaning!" :)

YODA74
08-04-2002, 05:05 PM
http://www.softdd.com/complete/

you can get one here you can also do as whyzman suggest you should beable to right click on your drive >properties>disk cleanup to finish the job.

Paul Komski
08-04-2002, 05:46 PM
Some of these utilities are great for clearing out not just the TempIntFiles but also cleaning out the hidden underlying index.dat files.

To just keep your TempIntFiles under control ALL THE TIME go to IE<>Tools<>Options<>Advanced and scroll down to Security then check the box "Empty Temporary Internet Files Folder when browser is closed". That way it never gets bloated - unless you keep IE open for very very long periods of course. I've never understood why this isn't checked by default!

skwerlbaitbev
04-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Greetings, PCGuide Correspondents,
I see this topic is ancient history, but I find I am still not able to copy photos in .jpg format. 'Right click' and 'save picture as' will provide only two options - ".art" and ".bmp" I've done all that is recommended above, re deleting TempIntFiles (I do cookies, and history, too, on a very regular basis - I keep the Internet Properties programme as a shortcut on my desktop, and dump both files and cookies each time I leave the pc - and if I'm on for a while, often whilst surfing) I'm with AOL, using IE 6.0 with Windows XP Home, on a hp pavilion zx5000 NB. I've read the MS bulletin Q260650 that MJC suggested, and tried the recommended 'workaround', to no avail. Any suggestions? (Well, any suggestions regarding this problem, only, please ... lol!)

Whyzman
04-02-2005, 12:52 PM
This might help temporarily...

If you find a picture you want to save, dump your temporary internet files and then visit the page again with the image you want (this is just to limit the number of files allowing you to spot the image more readily). Head back in to your temporary internet files and see if you can locate the image file. When you double click on it it should open it by itself. Then, try using File>Save...

CuratoR
04-02-2005, 03:57 PM
skwerlbaitbev
Looks like its an AOL modified browser with only the .art extension.
I don't use AOL, so I don't no much, but if AOL provides ways to unmodify IE, plzz do that.
Ok, update
Launch AOL. This can be done on-line or off-line. Click on My AOL, then choose Preferences, then choose WWW. There you will find three choices for graphics; No graphics, Compressed graphics, Uncompressed graphics. Choose the Uncompressed graphics. Now the whole problem of the .art files will be gone. If you download a GIF or a JPG image, it will be on your hard drive as the GIF or JPG image, and be readable and usable in the normal fashion.

Try aboves and post back.

skwerlbaitbev
04-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Okay, I just gotta know. Are you, CuratoR, one of those self-disparaging, eyes lowered, Gary Cooper 'aw, shucks, ma'am', geniuses, or one of those insufferable, haughty, never-actually-look-at-the-worshiping-hoards, but-over-them, Orsen Wells geniuses? Either way, you are a GENIUS! LOL!

My AOL Browser options for graphics was not exactly 'compressed' - but 'compress graphics only when I do not have a broadband connection to AOL' - and since broadband is not offered in the sticks, here in Elkton, MD, your suggestion hit the proverbial problem on the head with a sledge.

Sigh. Now, I have no excuse to stay on this pc, trying to work out this enigma on my own, but instead must return to the spring housecleaning that I must do, if ever I'm to file my income taxes (because under that pile of laundry, or pile of outdated magazines, or pile or 'Lancaster Farming', there are yet unopened envelopes marked 'IMPORTANT TAX RETURN DOCUMENT ENCLOSED', and my accountant insists that these unopened envelopes contain information without which he simply cannot, no matter how much money I throw at him, file my taxes for me.

Thank you much, CuratoR! Say - I don't suppose you do tax forms, do you???