PDA

View Full Version : Newly built computer shuts down

Smooth4evr
08-03-2002, 04:16 PM
Hi, I am new to building computers, but recenlty I put this together:

P4 2.26 GHZ FSB: 533 with an ASUS motherboard supporting the 533 FSB.
512MB DDR RAM(2 sticks of 256). Power supply is an antec 350W.

Ok after I put everything together and started it up for the first time it went into bios and had my processor speed listed 2260. Before I could read anything else the comp just powered down. Although a green light on the motherboard remained on until I unpluggeg the power. There are 2 case fans and one processor fan, all of them were running at the time. Then I proceed to start it up again but this time it goes into this dos mode and I hear this womans voice saying "system completed, poer on self test" after which it promts me for a system disk but seconds later it shuts down once more. It seems it can only stay on for like 20-30 seconds before shutting off. I have not touched a thing in bios, no overclocking, nothing.

Smooth4evr
08-03-2002, 05:59 PM
Ok, I was able to go into bios and check the CPU temp, it was rising and when it hit 58 C and 137 F it shut off, are these normal temps or is there something wrong. Please, I need some help here

mjc
08-03-2002, 06:44 PM
Ok, first off, you motherboard?BIOS is working properly...it is shutting down when the temp gets too high, this is a good thing. Now to figure out why.

58 is not really too high, if you were running under a heavy load, for just starting yes it is. SO either the heatsink is not properly attached or the fan is not doing its job.

When you attached the cooler did you remove the little plastic piece over the thermal pad?

Did you remove the pad and use a heatsink compound?

malcore
08-04-2002, 12:31 AM
Sounds like you have either the Asus P4S533 or the P4B533. The voice you are hearing is the Asus Post Reporter. This gives you a voice message instead of a beep code. The message you got is equal to one beep, which means "no action required". Read your mobo manual, there is a way to shut this off.

As to the comp shutting down, I have the same processor on a P4S533, and even under heavy load, the cpu only reaches 47 degrees C. Like mjc said check your heatsink.Your cpu should definitely NOT be this hot when powering up.

It's funny though, the Post Reporter will tell you if it is a cpu heat problem. You will hear the voice say "CPU temperature too high" or "CPU fan failed" or "CPU voltage out of range".

Asus has very good manuals, read it many times. KNOW YOUR MOBO.

It's possible but unlikely that you have RAM or power supply issues.

Try with only one stick of RAM and swapping. Also try "resetting" your power supply. Unplug it from the mobo, wait a minute, then plug it back in.

If this doesn't work, check all of your connections, reseat your cards or go "barebones", cpu, one stick ram, video card, etc.

PS- The green light staying on on the mobo is normal. This is what we now call "soft off."

Smooth4evr
08-04-2002, 03:56 AM
Ok guys, thanks for the help, I took out the processor and put it back in, I don't think I had all 4 of the latches on the heatsink/fan connected to the retention mech. So now it works. I have one more additional question to ask if I may. This processor supports 533 Mhz FSB, can you explain to me what that is exactly, also the mobo says it supports it, is there anyway I can tell if it is running at 533? I checked bios and all i see is frequency setting at 133 and multiplier at 17. Thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate it

edit: one more thing I should note is I have the P4B533

malcore
08-04-2002, 04:09 AM
You are good to go!! Your internal CPU frequency is set at 133MHz, which translates by a multiple of four (4x133=533, well actually 532, but 533 sounds nicer) into your Front Side Bus 533 MHz. 133x17=2261, which is the speed of your processor.

All is well, enjoy your new machine!!:)