PDA

View Full Version : ps/fans

cronus1914
08-13-2002, 10:05 PM
Hey all. I am planning to buy a new power supply and I have a question. I have 1 fan in the front of my computer (regular case fan) and 2 in the back (a system blower in a pci slot & the one in the ps). If I buy a new ps with 2 fans will that be too many fans in the back?? I wil then have 3 in the back and only 1 in the front. Is that bad? I heard that the case can become depressurized. Is that really a major concern?

BiLL

saphalline
08-14-2002, 06:44 PM
2 fans in the power supply blow through eachother, so I would only count them as 1 1/2, but yeah, put one of those back fans in the front. It's best in general to keep your fans balanced, unless you have some fancy cooling scheme that you'd be messing up.

A depressurized case is not really a major concern, it's just not as efficient as it could be.

Whyzman
08-14-2002, 08:57 PM
You might want to have a look at THIS (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16035) thread. Note the direct venting of the CPU fan! :)

When BB happens by perhaps he could share exactly how he sets up his processor direct venting scenario. Also, I would be interested in how well the setup works reducing processor heat?

cronus1914
08-15-2002, 12:58 PM
I don't understand what your post has to do with my question Whyzman. LOL!

BiLL

YODA74
08-15-2002, 01:14 PM
Well what type of case do you have :Model,
Who makes it.
got a pic?
You wanting to Modz?
All case's vent differently depending on what it is that you want to do?

You gaming?
"" photo processing?
Buisness?
just at home surfing?
All of the above?

Whyzman
08-15-2002, 01:24 PM
Bill, 'twas an option! :D

Rather than making the inside of the case a massive heat exchanger, BB vents his CPU directly to the outside. If you've a single or dual fan on your processor the balancing act of airflow would be a moot point.

I'm seriously considering his method for my next build...I just need to see the details as to how he's mounting the ductwork. ;)

BigBlue66
08-16-2002, 06:33 PM
Hmmm, well it's true that both my son and I use a duct on our HSF. However, it's not ducting air to the outside, but rather to the inside.

You can buy black plastic fan ducts from such places as www.plycon.com and www.pcmods.com, among others for around $5-$7.

Next, measure three times and cut the hole in your side panel or window, whichever it is, so you can install the fan duct right over the HSF. The duct can be cut to length so it butts right up to an 80mm HSF.

We both use the Thermalright AX-7, which is designed to have air blowing onto it. Other HSFs, like the Thermaltake Volcano series I believe are designed to have the air sucking off the heatsink.

So, the fan duct could conceivably serve either purpose. It can either supply fresh outside air to be blown onto the heatsink, or it can serve as a tunnel for hot air to be sucked off the heatsink.

The fan ducts have an outer lip around them, so they look good once you install them, but we both use a fan grill just for purtiness sake. :D

EDIT: One more thing, I stumbled across this idea awhile back and have been using it ever since. Both of our AX-7s are funnelled, so to speak. We use a gutted out 80mm fan housing inbetween the heatsink and actual heatsink fan. This helps to eliminate to dead spot of the fan and also gets the actual fan closer to the side of the case for fresh air. I do not recommend this procedure unless one uses a moderately high cfm fan. You need the air to have enough volume and/or pressure by the time it reaches the heatsink. We both use the 53cfm Mechatronics fan and we both enjoy extremely good temps, even in high ambient room temps.

The fan duct can also be used with 60mm HSFs. With these smaller HSFs, the duct can fit right over the entire thing. However, if you have a HSF that is designed to have air blown onto it, cut the duct so it just covers the fan on the heatsink. This way the heatsink itself will be clear to disperse the hot air. If you have a HSF that is designed to have air sucked off of it, then by all means use the full size duct to completely fit over the entire HSF, or as much as it will cover.

Cheers.

Whyzman
08-16-2002, 06:53 PM
Thanks BB,

ranchdog and I were PMing regarding the ducting and it became quickly apparent that I might have been spouting hot air regarding the direction the exhaust was flowing, if you get my drift! :rolleyes:

Thanks for putting things into the proper perspective! I do like the direct air concept...whether pushing or pulling. I'll have to take a look at which way my Thermaltake is set up.

Were those Thermaltake grills on the exterior of your son's case?

BigBlue66
08-16-2002, 09:55 PM
I think those grills are just your standard wire chrome grill aren't they? Guess I will have to go check.

Anyways, I'm running an XP 1900+ on an MSI KT3 Ultra and enjoy temps in the mid-thirties, with load never going over 40-41c, even in an 80F room.

My case airflow is set up as such:

Ducted (using fan duct in front grill) 120mm intake fan
92mm top blowhole
80mm Panaflo UA1 rear exhaust
two system blowers
True430 with dual fans

Getting the proper airflow is an art, I think. Lots of trial and error.

The 120 front and 92 top are on fan controllers. My case temps, as measured by the thermistor from my Hardcano3 hanging midway down in my case never vary from room temp by more than 1-2c. My temps actually go UP when I take the case side off.

Whyzman
08-17-2002, 02:43 AM
Sweet!! ;)

Got a kick out of THESE BABIES! (http://www.thermaltake.com/products/dcfan/smartFan2coolMod.htm) :D

Just found THESE (http://www.thermaltake.com/products/accessories/fanGrille.htm) too! ;)

mjc
08-17-2002, 12:18 PM
Whyz,

You're falling off a little....

COOL ;)

BB66,

Sounds like you got it right,finally....what did you ever do with that Zalman HS?

BigBlue66
08-17-2002, 10:26 PM
MJC: Yep, I'm very happy with the cooling combination I have now. I especially like my 1900+. Plenty of power but yet runs cool, unlike the 1.4 TBird 266 and the XP2100+. However, I was running that TBird for awhile in my system with the cooling setup I have now, and I was getting high thirties to mid-forties under load, which is basically what my son is now running and getting the same temps or even a little better. (Dear Old Dad gave him the 1.4 :) ) I guess we found the right cooling combo.

I still have the 6000CU all flower Zalman. It's tucked neatly back in its box, with all the goodies that came with it.

Why, are you interested in taking it off my hands, for a reasonable price? :)

Whyzman: Those TT fans look purty spiffy, but 48db??? Got earplugs? :eek:

Whyzman
08-18-2002, 03:33 AM
Yeah BB, I know...I bit on the loud side. But I was kinda looking at them like a custom Harley. If you're gonna go through all that trouble and expense to look that good...then you gotta have a good set of pipes to let everyone take note of what you've got! :p

mjc
08-18-2002, 01:37 PM
BB,

Maybe....I am pretty sure it can handle lower speed (under 750M) CPUs pretty well in low speed mode, maybe even without a fan.

I want to build a "slient" machine....

Whyz....hmmm, never thought of it quite that way before.

BigBlue66
08-18-2002, 01:53 PM
MJC: Absolutely. It'll do a fine job on a Duron or a lower end Athlon. I used it to cool a 1.2 TBird 200 for awhile and got temps in the high forties under load. However, once I upgraded to the 1.4 TB 266, my satisfaction with the HSF started to wain.

Email me if you're really interested. Of course you realize, that the HSF was only driven on Sundays and it's in mint condition, right? :D

Whyzman
08-19-2002, 12:00 AM
And only "highway" miles?

BigBlue66
08-19-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Whyzman
And only "highway" miles?

Of course. :)

Whyzman
08-19-2002, 12:12 PM
And..."garaged" during the winter?

BigBlue66