PDA

View Full Version : Lan controller ?

crcdove
08-17-2002, 09:20 AM
Hi all, this being my first time at this forum I am uncertain this question should be addressed either in the pc hardware or networking forum (probably both as their related). I have a built-in 10BaseT/100Base Ethernet Lan controller on my motherboard. I've done some research on this subject but even after doing so I have questions regarding this subject. I understand the controller allows for network capability but what devices would be used (could find nothing on this aspect). If I wanted to add a NIC card how would the two relate to each other? Thanks for any information.

Ghost_Hacker
08-17-2002, 09:41 AM
You can have as many network cards as you like in your computer. There is no need to "disable" the onboard NIC before you install the new one.

I understand the controller allows for network capability but what devices would be used (could find nothing on this aspect).

What are you trying to do?

gwallen4
08-17-2002, 10:52 AM
LAN cards allow you to connect to other computers to share files, printers, internet connections, etc. The connections are made by Cat5 cable/

Your computer may be connected directly to another computer using a crossover cable, or 2 or more computers may be connected using a device called a network hub or switch. Your LAN card can also be used to connect to the internet by attaching it to a cable modem or to a router which is connected to a cable modem.

Try the following web site:

http://www.homepcnetwork.com/index.htm

crcdove
08-18-2002, 06:50 AM
Thanks gwallen4. Yes I know of connecting two pcs (cables, hubs, and baby routers) but it was the "built-in" part of the word that had thrown me off.

gwallen4
08-18-2002, 01:08 PM
Built into the motherboard means that all the electronics that would normally be present on a LAN card (that you would plug into an expansion slot) are included on the motherboard. The motherboard itself contains the RJ45 connector (looks like a large telephone connector) probably close to the USB ports on the back of the computer.

For all intents and purposes this built-in LAN is just like one that is on a card. To use it you need to install its driver which should be included on the installation CD for your motherboard.