PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection speed

surveyor1
08-18-2002, 10:12 AM
Ok all u pc guru's, put your collective thinking caps on and answer a question for me. Let me see if i can word this correctly....Does pc performace effect how fast internet pages are viewed? Example: pc A is up to date with all the latest technology and pc B is lets say 3 years older. Both have the same modem and use dial up connection. Which pc will offer the fastest internet surfing general speaking? I know all the issue's that can effect internet traffic ie: ancient phone lines, bandwidth hogs, etc just name a few. I guess what i'm asking is: what is the most important consideration when using internet in terms of faster access time ie: how fast a web page loads etc. I'm using a dial up connection my only option as dsl is not offered my area and satellite connection is cost prohibited. Thanks all

YODA74
08-18-2002, 10:19 AM
guess your stuck with slow speed and connection sorry :(

kayofcircles
08-18-2002, 11:53 AM
surveyor1 : If, big if, the newer puter is say XP, which has a larger "resource" pool and if it's not overloaded by bells and whistles running in the background, etc...it should load pages faster, even using the same modem and ancient phone lines. A faster chip will affect performance..ie "loading" pages...and I have heard that browsers like Opera "load" faster and perform better. Since I am still using a slower chip and IE 5, I am not sure if one can actually "see" the difference, but suspect that one can.

The answer to your question is "yes"...computer performance does indeed effect surfing, and every other program you run on it. The less you have running in the background (msconfig), the "cleaner" you keep your puter (TempInternetfiles), maintenance like regular Defrag, the browser you use,...all that effects surfing.

You might browse through some articles/pages here at Whidbey (http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Running_items.htm). It explains resources better than I can, and how that effects performance.

surveyor1
08-18-2002, 02:13 PM
Well guess I'm just going to have to sharpen up my tweaking skills and have a go at it. Thanks for the url kay will check it out. I need to upgrade to xp soon as well. May try opera/mozilla see how they perform. I think i downloaded opera at one time but was not graphical enough for me. Will give it another try. Guess I have to suffer less features for better performance, huh. Ya all have a great day now.