PDA

View Full Version : javascript error message

T-Tom
08-18-2002, 07:12 PM
Every time I get on the internet I get a multitude of JavaScript Errors. Sometimes they repeat themselves and I have to shut down my computer. Any suggestions would appreciated.

Paul Komski
08-18-2002, 07:56 PM
Which browser and which version are you using? JS errors are generally just that errors; errors when the code was written for the page - or else a browser/version (particularly older versions) that can't read the code correctly.

If you post a couple of the urls of such pages here, it would be possible to see if the same errors are repeated using different browsers.

You could also disable scripts in your browser, if they are such a nuisance. Some functionality will be lost on some pages but you won't get these messages (you could also just turn off the error messages) and in fact will be surfing that bit more securely.

Sometimes it can be hard to stop the errors from repeatedly showing on certain pages because of a faulty "mouse over" event, which pops up an error message again as soon as you move your mouse; to escape from these trying moving N,S,E and W with your mouse.

mjc
08-18-2002, 08:26 PM
You can also try to disable JS debugging...under Internet Options => Advanced.

classicsoftware
08-18-2002, 08:39 PM
If you have XP, it no longer supports JAVA. You will have to load the Java plug-in from SUNclick here (http://www.sun.com/)

If it's not XP, then you'll have to what is suggested below and turn off JS debugging....

Paul Komski
08-18-2002, 09:17 PM
Javascript and HTML should execute and render normally in XP's IE6. If you browse to a page that requires Java however, one has historically been prompted to download the necessary components, if they are not installed; or has Microsoft blocked this in some way in XP's IE6?

BTW entering java or java -version at a DOS Prompt should let you know if and what version of JRE is installed.

classicsoftware
08-18-2002, 10:04 PM
Java IS NO LONGER NATIVE to Windows starting with XP (All flavors). You will have to click on the link I put in above and download the Java plug-in for Windows from SUN.

sea69
08-19-2002, 12:10 AM
see this (http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16187)

;)

Paul Komski
08-19-2002, 07:10 PM
Here (http://www.iexbeta.com/articles/00000116.shtml) is a site with some conversation about the pros/cons of Sun's and Microsoft's VM and indirect download links (if you don't want to go for sea's direct route; and there is also a different download of the Microsoft VM for Win2K apparently.

Can we clarify (since I hope I've got this right) the difference between errors with Java and Javascript Errors (which was the subject of the opening post).

Javascripts are programs in a high level language (sort of in English if you like) that are written in the source code of a webpage. If they are badly written or the browser doesn't support them they will give rise to Javascript Errors.

Java is "written in English" but has to be compiled into a byte-language (therefore much faster) file with a .class extension before it can be run. These class files are downloaded to your pc when they are needed. If the webpage then calls on that downloaded file to execute and display in an applet it requires a VM to display it on. Java class files will generally display on both MS's and Sun's VMs.

To see Java errors would require a compiler (such as the default JIT compiler that MS supplies with IE) to be installed and then run from the browser when required.

Please correct me if I got this wrong because it's an area of repeated confusion. Also if XP's IE6 has MS VM (which I don't know since I have stayed away from XP and IE6 so far) it should (unless I am mistaken) be capable of diplaying Java classes when they are called.