PDA

View Full Version : Setting password

kueijie
08-19-2002, 01:48 PM
Now i got a question. How can i set password to a HD parition or a folder or a file/Doc??

Vic 970
08-19-2002, 04:15 PM
http://vvv.com/~hidefiles/

I have the free version from a couple of years back, which allows one folder on the desktop, now its a 30 day trial version, full version is cheap enough though (if you like it)

I haven't used it for a while, as I now have my work pc password protected in bios, by me so nobody else can use it, but prior to that I found it very handy.

PS: don't forget your password though !!;)

iisbob
08-19-2002, 05:02 PM
The problem with BIOS passwording is that it can be bypassed by just simply pulling the CMOS battery for a few minutes; it'll reset the NVRAM to default-there goes your password.
:rolleyes:

No 95 based OS has any kind of security-if you are running NT ( 2k/XP ) you can enforce the security using the NTFS file system down to the file level-you can't enter safe mode to remove the password or delete the security registry key to gain access.

There are programs available that will crack NT security, but the average person doesnt know where to get them nor how to use them, so your info is pretty safe.

Vic 970
08-19-2002, 05:38 PM
Hi iisbob,

thanks for the reply. yes it just depends on the amount of security required.
My pc is in locked office, to which (apart from myself) only the cleaners, security staff & 2 members of my staff have the access code to, none of them know what a cmos battery is, & anyway my pc does not contain any gov secrets!
so the bios password is plenty good enough for my purposes.

If anyone reading wants better security, then I suggest Put the pc in the safe when not using it !!;)

rahulkothari
08-20-2002, 10:32 AM
kueijie, to protect any folder from being opened by an unauthorised user, do this.

start DOS command prompt.

rename your folder to ALT+(any numeric key combination) newfilename
for ex, if you have a folder named 'pics' you can type

ren pics ALT+(456)pics

This way no one can open or rename 'pics' folder from Windows (they will get an error message from windows when they try to do so). Neither can one open it from dos.

the only way to open it is to type the numeric key combination that you first typed to rename

ren ALT+(456)pics pics

Now you can open from windows. Actually the numeric combination is nothing but the ASCII code, so you can use only 255 'codes'. So if the thief knows the ascii codes, this method aint of any use, but like iisbob said an average person doesnt know all these tricks and hence your comp is protected.

mesc
08-22-2002, 02:49 AM
I've tried the DOS rename tip as it sounds very ingenious, and it seems to work well on windows, but on DOS the folder still shows up displaing the ASCII character assigned, that way it is noy so hard to find the folder.

Another concern I have is if you use something like alt+112 (p) which is a regular letter, then nothing happens.

kueijie
08-22-2002, 01:59 PM
i tried the method already.....wow, best!!!! but i still see 1 problem there. Which is if those who who DOS command, go in the DOS promt, will sure know to do it, all they need is to trial and error

rahulkothari
08-26-2002, 06:56 AM
Each character (a,b,c...1,2...), symbol(@,#...) and control key is assigned an ASCII code.

The ASCII code for character 'p' is 112 and hence on typing alt+112 , you get the letter 'p', which is readily available on keyboard. Now if you type alt+214 which stands for a symbol(shown below) which you can't type from keyboard and hence you cant open this folder directly from windows.

Check out this link for all the characters with their corresponding ASCII codes. (http://www.cdrummond.qc.ca/cegep/informat/Professeurs/Alain/files/ascii.htm).