PDA

View Full Version : Recent Problem with Internet Connection

franagain
08-22-2002, 08:27 PM
Hi, everyone. Last year my local ISP was taken over by Earthlink and the connection improved a lot. But in recent weeks I have started having a lot of difficulties connecting.
I have a 433 Mhz computer / Windows 98 / and a 56000 bps modem
At certain times the connection will be as low as at 9000 or 12000 bps (the regular is 52000) and keeps disconnecting constantly.
Where does the problem originate? Is it a too busy ISP? or is there a problem with my computer? I'd like to know before contacting them in case it's a problem with my machine.

Also, how does one upgrade to a better connection (DSL, or whatever)? Is it a component you just buy and add? Where do I start?
Thanks a lot, guys.

Paul Komski
08-22-2002, 08:38 PM
If it was connecting OK and has just started connecting so very badly it could be your ISP's bandwidth has become shot but I would also suspect line noise. Check all your modem connections inside the house and also just lift the tel receiver, press just one key and listen. If you can hear any audible clicks/crackles (or probably even if you can't) get in touch with your telecom provider and report it or have the line tested.

Could even be worth trying a new cable direct from the modem to the wall jack and with nothing else connected to the telephone lines (answer machine etc) and with the cable having a nice short straight run.

Budfred
08-22-2002, 10:00 PM
Getting DSL or other Broadband services depends on what is available in your area. I get my DSL line from QWest and my ISP is a local small company. You will have to look around in your area to see what is available. The 2 most likely sources are your telephone company and the local cable TV company.

Budfred

franagain
08-22-2002, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. Do you change anything in your computer to pass from old dial-up to DSL?

Anubis
08-23-2002, 01:39 AM
Yes, you will have to make several changes if you jump into broadband. The most simple solution is a USB modem although that is not recommended unless you have a powered USB hub. If you go the "normal" modem route for cable and DSL you'll have to install a NIC which should be provided, in some cases the card might be the modem itself. For my DSL I have a 3com PCI modem that is no longer produced. Check out www.dslreports.com and find specific information about broadband in your area. Broadband is very region specific, in some places cable providers have a clue about life... in others they couldn't network 2 computers together to save their life. DSL is the same way, at least with DSLreports you can get reviews from around your area so you have an idea what your getting into. Something else to consider with your sudden drop in dialup speed is a routing change done by the LEC. They could very well have put the NPANXX on a totally different routing scheme which is not good for dialup modems. Its really up in the air but I think the minimum they have to provide is 4800.

Budfred
08-23-2002, 06:16 PM
I use an Intel DSL modem that the phone company supplied (for about $100) when I first signed up for DSL. Lately they have been offering the "use" of a modem when you sign up for DSL. I am not sure what that means, but I suspect it means you have to give it back if you change services and they may charge rent for it.:confused: :( Either way, I am glad I bought mine. Again, what you can get depends on what you have in your area.

Budfred