PDA

View Full Version : New PC Installation - Not booting

evalroy
04-21-2001, 11:02 PM
I am stumped. I have assembled several PC's from components or kits for the past 5 years (Pentiums and Athlons both). I purchased a kit from Computer Geeks and assembled with only the processor, memory, video card, hard drive, floppy and CD-ROM installed. The processor and cooling fan power up nicely. However, the rest of the system does not. There does not seem to be any power to HD, floppy or CD. I have checked the jumpers at least twice; reinserted the memory, video card and processor; and checked the clear CMOS settings. Everything seems to be as it should, except no POST, beeping or video input.

Here are the installed components:
Athlon 750 w/128 L2 cache
Acorp 7VIA71A mobo (Via KX-133 chipset/jumpered for 100mhz FSB)
S3 Savage 32mb AGP video card
128 mb Kingston PC-133 Value RAM
Power Supply Astec 300W
Maxtor 2.5 gb hard drive
3.5 floppy
52X Genica CD-ROM
IBM keyboard/Logitech 2 button mouse

NOTE: The DIMM slots were very tight and it was not easy to insert the memory. I took care to make sure it was seated properly.

Any assistance or insight would be most appreciated.

-Evalroy

mjc
04-21-2001, 11:07 PM
If you have another PS handy I'd give that a try, it may be that the 12V line is out.

------------------
mjc
Links list:Computer Links (http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/highrise/11/index.htm)

468th Rule of Aquistion: Debugging of software is foolish, there is much profit in updates and upgrades.

Paleo Pete
04-22-2001, 08:01 AM
Check for a short or ground problem. Try hooking up the motherboard on a tabletop outside the case, so it's not touching the chassis and power up with only motherboard, CPU, memory and video card. If you get a picture, put some cardboard washers between the motherboard and chassis to eliminate the short. Computer shops have them and they shouldn't be expensive.

Maybe try different memory, and if it's difficult to install, double check it, could be it's not going in all the way. I would also install memory with the board on a tabletop so it's flat and supported, so you don't bend the board and crack the circuits.

------------------
So many idiots, and only six bullets...
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

johnnyg
04-22-2001, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by evalroy:
I am stumped. I have assembled several PC's from components or kits for the past 5 years (Pentiums and Athlons both). I purchased a kit from Computer Geeks and assembled with only the processor, memory, video card, hard drive, floppy and CD-ROM installed. The processor and cooling fan power up nicely. However, the rest of the system does not. There does not seem to be any power to HD, floppy or CD. I have checked the jumpers at least twice; reinserted the memory, video card and processor; and checked the clear CMOS settings. Everything seems to be as it should, except no POST, beeping or video input.

Here are the installed components:
Athlon 750 w/128 L2 cache
Acorp 7VIA71A mobo (Via KX-133 chipset/jumpered for 100mhz FSB)
S3 Savage 32mb AGP video card
128 mb Kingston PC-133 Value RAM
Power Supply Astec 300W
Maxtor 2.5 gb hard drive
3.5 floppy
52X Genica CD-ROM
IBM keyboard/Logitech 2 button mouse

NOTE: The DIMM slots were very tight and it was not easy to insert the memory. I took care to make sure it was seated properly.

Any assistance or insight would be most appreciated.

-Evalroy

Disconnect the hd,floppy & cd power and ide. still no video, swap out agp,still no video
swap out ram, still no video? swap out the ps. still no video? bad mb or cpu.HTH John http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Peace is in the mind,not the situation. "unless you're in a fire fight"

evalroy
04-24-2001, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by mjc:
If you have another PS handy I'd give that a try, it may be that the 12V line is out.

mjc,

I tried another PS (new) and it did not help.

Thank you,
Ken

evalroy
04-24-2001, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Paleo Pete:
Check for a short or ground problem. Try hooking up the motherboard on a tabletop outside the case, so it's not touching the chassis and power up with only motherboard, CPU, memory and video card. If you get a picture, put some cardboard washers between the motherboard and chassis to eliminate the short. Computer shops have them and they shouldn't be expensive.

Maybe try different memory, and if it's difficult to install, double check it, could be it's not going in all the way. I would also install memory with the board on a tabletop so it's flat and supported, so you don't bend the board and crack the circuits.

Paleo Pete,

Thank you for the suggestions, I tried them all to no avail. I went a bit further and swapped some parts (CPU, video card, etc.) from some of my other systems with the same sad result. In addition, I even replaced the battery just in case it was bad.

I am coming to the conclusion that the mobo is bad and have contacted Computer Geeks for their input. I will keep everyone updated if a replacement board does the trick.

evalroy