PDA

View Full Version : new network or should that be NOTwork!!

pscyime
09-01-2002, 01:27 AM
hey guys

can i start by saying this site rocks - the most helpful and knowledgable forum on the net bar none.

i have been lurking(reading) for some months and decided to take the plunge and reg......plus i got a prob i cant fix!!!

i have 2 machines - server has 2k server client has xp pro,trying to network em(just a workgroup).I have installed DHCP on the server and it works as the client can renew an IP(ipconfig/release followed by renew works fine)

problem is from the server i can see both machine but just cant browse the client??

have enabled file and print sharing on both,have shares on client - is there anything obvious i am missing

pete.mjc,ghost and the gang.....you're my last hope!!

best regards

pscyime

ziba-june
09-01-2002, 02:16 PM
Have you disabled ICF(Internet Connection Firewall) on your XP yet?

pscyime
09-01-2002, 02:20 PM
yep,also both machine have same workgroup name aswell,when accessing the client from "computers near me" in network neighbourhood it just says the client is no longer a valid network resource???

cheers for the idea anyway.......keep thinking!

Pscyime

mjc
09-01-2002, 04:06 PM
Can you see and browse the other way around?

If you can see the client but not browse it then it is unlikey to be a hardware problem.

pscyime
09-02-2002, 01:04 AM
no cant browse/see anything from the client either,I agree i dont thnk its hardware either as NICs/cable are new plus the DHCP server is working fine??

What can it be tho - it has me stumped

any idea welcomed

pscyime

classicsoftware
09-02-2002, 01:23 AM
Do you have a user account setup on the Win2k box with access rights that will allow the WinXp bax to access the Win2k Box?

If not, you will have to setup a user on the Win2k box and create a user profile on the WinXP box with same name.

Then you should be able to logon to the server...

Ghost_Hacker
09-02-2002, 05:48 PM
Sounds like a userID problem and ,as Classic has already pointed out,creating a profile with the same name and password on both computers should allow access.

If security is not a concern then enabling the guest account on both computers will accomplish the same thing.

Good Luck :)

pscyime
09-03-2002, 11:47 PM
sorry not responded quicker - been real busy with work etc - will let you know how suggestions go - appreciate all help offered cheers guys

pscyime