PDA

View Full Version : ZA freebie

steveo
09-07-2002, 11:40 PM
I've been using the updated ZA freebie on my XP machine and I've had a couple of issues with it which I talked about on another thread.

I put the prog on my win98se machine and now everytime I boot the pc windows has to find my monitor and then I have to reset my video settings. Add to that ZA gives permission for a prog then promptly forgets about it so I have to close the prog down and let ZA reset it. Even further to this my win98se machine seems to be "not right" but I can't put my finger on it. I turfed the updated ZA and went back to the older release and all is fine again. Not so much a question here but a heads up on the problems I'm having with the updated ZA freebie.

Budfred
09-07-2002, 11:54 PM
I've been running it for a while now on WinME and no discernible problems. It may be something about your setups that is causing it. Have you done thorough virus and spyware scans lately?

Budfred

mjc
09-08-2002, 12:03 AM
I can only address one of the problems...the one with ZA forgetting things...the fix is to reboot and delete the ZA logs (from the log window in the ZA panel), then reboot again then try the program. This happens more often if you have updated from a previous version..especially withoug doing a complete uninstall, which includes removing the old logs.

Possibly some of the other problems are also from the update...when I ran the update I saw somewhere at the beginning about uninstalling the previous version...so I did, following the complete uninstall procedure for when you are having a problem (can't find the link for that right now...but basically it removes ALL the settings and registry entries and files that the regular install leaves behind, so you don't have to start from scratch when you reinstall...).

steveo
09-08-2002, 12:59 AM
Thanx for the timely replies. As far as virus/spyware I do daily checks for that (thanx mjc for turning me on to lavasoft a year ago). Maybe it is my setup...wondering what to do different.

I don't keep logs of ZA activity, that is to say I tell the prog not to bother with it. Maybe it does it anyway in its own little way? This win98 box is a fresh install last week I think...hard to keep track sometimes. But when I do install ZA I tell it to not remember previous settings. My rule of thumb is always to uninstall before installing stuff. I don't like overwriting software but I can't do much about the registry in that situation save running my reg proggy and flushing out as much as I can. I don't know...I think my best solution is not to use the update and keep on truckin'. Eventually I'll put a router in here and not worry about things so much.

Tnanx again

Mitch Hatfield
09-08-2002, 08:45 AM
I was running free ZA v2.6 with NO probs.

Then I did a clean install of the new v3 and had problems - it's a real resource hog amongst other things.

Eventually, I un-installed ZA and replaced it with a free Sygate Personal Firewall - a much better firewall anyway.

That's my experience, for what it's worth!;)

mjc
09-08-2002, 03:00 PM
Even if you aren't logging the "hits" ZA still uses a log file to keep track of the allowed programs and a few other things. Also even when telling it not to save the previous settings it doesn't get rid of everything.

Yes, there seems to be a number of problems with the newest release...but it seems every time ZA has a new release there are problems with the original and then within a couple of months they have one or two "fix it" releases, so waiting may be a good idea.