PDA

View Full Version : Connect 2 pc's and share internet connection

chad_bridge
10-02-2002, 10:32 AM
hi all,

i was wondering if you could help me with this one as i am a beginner.

I have 2 pc's one which is mine that has got xp professional and my sisters in her room that has 98 second edition. i have network cards installed in both machines and i wanted to know how i go about connecting the two machines together im getting some RJ45 cable to connect them but how will i set it all up will xp do it all for me even the internet access thing.

it is my computer that has the internet connection and i want my sisters connected to it.

Also logging on aswell how do i sort all that out do i need a special client or just use one from windows? (oh yeah i want to be the administrator and run the network i already have prog's for that though :)

any help would be appreciated

thanks

chad

Jiggy
10-02-2002, 06:53 PM
for the cable use Cat5 cross over cable, if you set up the network from the XP side first by using the software/driver disk that came with your nic cards, follow the on screen directions, near the end you will get a screen with a lot of options on, one will be to make a network boot disk, make one.
once you have made the disk use it on your win98 puter and again follow it through and select the option that says "this pc connects to the internet through another pc.
you have not said how you are connected to the net, so if on a dial up go in to options/setting on your dial up and tick something like "let others access the net through this connection.
if on ADSL or Cable modem why not go for a Router.

chad_bridge
10-03-2002, 01:42 PM
thanks for the reply jiggy it was very helpfull but some questions to add on that you might be able to answer to please.

what is a router?

will i be able to administer the other machine from mine aswell?

i have tried re-installing the programs from the cd but all it says is do youwant to update the drivers and thats all it does looks like im gonna have to use the network setup wizard on xp

thanks anyway

chad

classicsoftware
10-03-2002, 01:50 PM
How are you connecting to the internet???

Broadband (DSL, Cable) or Dial up?

That will determine if you need a router.

chad_bridge
10-03-2002, 01:53 PM
Broadband (cable)

i think im better off using the network setup wizard on xp though it is very helpfull

thanks anyway

classicsoftware
10-03-2002, 02:00 PM
What you need is a Linksys (my preferance) 4 port hub/router.
You will also need Cat-5 patch cables wired straith through, crossover only connects to devices to each other e.g., PC-PC or HUB-HUB

If you follow the instructions provided by Linksys, diable the built in and pretty pedestrian software firewall included in XP and run the networking wizzard, you should be fine.

chad_bridge
10-03-2002, 02:27 PM
ok ill do that then

sleddog
10-03-2002, 06:11 PM
Or you simply pick up a second network card (NIC) for your machine.

Sister's computer <-> NIC #2 <-> NIC #1 <-> Internet

That is Internet connection sharing on your machine. But if you plan on adding any more machines then forget this and get the router.

Edit: I should add I've never done this on Windows :) In the Linux world it's IP forwarding.

chad_bridge
10-04-2002, 07:56 AM
if i add an extra NIC to my computer doesnt this mean that my computer will have to be on before my sister can access the internet?

chad

classicsoftware
10-04-2002, 09:18 AM
Yes, that's whay you want to go with a router.

Still waiting for the picture....

chad_bridge
10-04-2002, 10:52 AM
michael, i have tried three times to try and send you that picture but e-mails keep coming back saying invalid e-mail address so ill draw a simple one here.
__________________________________________________ ______________________

INTERNET CONNECTION
|
________rj45________| |____rj45____________
| |
MY COMPUTER SISTERS COMPUTER

----------------------------------------------------------------------
is this right? (all dashes by the hub go directly into the ports on it)

and can i administer the network from my machine?

thanks chad

chad_bridge
10-04-2002, 10:55 AM
that picture is totally messed up man ,

have you got a e-mail address that will work?

bmpkns2
10-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Hey chad, the easiest way to do it would just be to get a router, and my preference is also linksys I have the 4-port router and three computers. Using a hub will 'split' the connection among the computers, whereas using a router will give each computer the same speed. It cost about 100.00 for the router, but worth it I think, since you are already paying for the fast connection, why not use it to the fullest.

The router will keep connected to the internet all the time, then when you wanna go online on your comp, you just have to click on IE or whatever browser you use, and it's on, no need to wait for the connection to be estabnlished, the router keeps it going for you.

I have had my router for 2 years now, and still no problems with it, so it's a good one.

If you get one, hook it up as follows:

Modem directly to router, cables from the ports in the back to each computer, dont use that hub unless you have 5 or more computers, it slows it down a lot. It's really simple to connect it, and after you are thru, disable the ethernet software you got from the cable company, you wont need it anymore, because the router does it all for you, you just have to tell it where to call and username/ pass and you are all set.

Good luck.

chad_bridge
10-04-2002, 02:30 PM
thanks mate.

how do iget the number to dial / username and password on a broadband account will the router tell me to input these? then i will be able to do it.

installing a network for the first time is trial and error and its my 1st time so ive got to test things out.

any more help is appreciated

chad

classicsoftware
10-04-2002, 03:28 PM
You should be able to just reply to my e-mail.

If not, I'll try to e-mail you again.

The linksys 4 port router is just a hub with an internet connection, not a switch so there will be NO speed difference between using a regular hub and 1 port router and built in 4 port hub/router.

Depending on your ISP for cable, Linksys will guide you through any unusual set up issues. With cable there is NO dial up , you are always connected.

chad_bridge
10-04-2002, 05:36 PM
while i was meesing about with the two pc i messed up my internet connection. the ip address reset to zero and everything wouldnt work.

great ey!

SO i was there wondering what to do then all of a sudden i saw a reset button on the back of the modem i clicked it and walla back to normal

THIS NOTE IS FOR PEOPLES FUTURE REFERENCE

chad