PDA

View Full Version : data copying from novell 5.1 serevr to novell netware 6 server

dinakar
10-05-2002, 01:19 PM
data copying from novell 5.1 serevr to novell netware 6 server
this is the my main objective .we have 40 gb hard disk of novell 5.1 serevr 35.3gb data volume, 1.76 sys volume & we installed a new server with 40 gb data volume 4 gb sys volume . are there any easy way to copy the data from novell 5.1 server to novell 6 server with out disturbing the old server, presently we planed that taking the whole backup to a hard disk & then copy it to new server through a client , if there are any new solutions for this (easy) plz send, thanks

classicsoftware
10-06-2002, 12:18 AM
How do you bacup these servers???

You should have a tape you can drop in and restore.

If not, copy the data to a destktop pc and then re-copy on to the new server...

dinakar
10-06-2002, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by classicsoftware
How do you bacup these servers???

You should have a tape you can drop in and restore.

If not, copy the data to a destktop pc and then re-copy on to the new server...
we are taking the backup to a pc only , we are not using tape drive
if any thing easy to copy from server to server,like hard disk copy to hard disk by placing the old server hard disk in new server along with new server hard disk , just like in windows we can copy

classicsoftware
10-06-2002, 06:05 PM
If you don't have a tape, than copy from machine to machine will be easier than trying to put a drive formatted with 5.1 into a server formatted with 6.0.

As for backup, if you need a Netware file server, you need a tape backup. What do you in case of fire, flood or theft?? There are other dangers besides hardeare failure. Backups should be taken off premesis.

Ghost_Hacker
10-07-2002, 01:51 AM
You might want to run the Migration wizard if you want to do more than just "roll over data" Check here for details:

Novell Migration wizard (http://www.novell.com/documentation/lg/migwiz6/index.html?treetitl.html)

....formatted with 5.1 into a server formatted with 6.0....

Look here for details on upgrading NSS volumes: (follow link at bottom of page)

upgrade NSS (http://www.novell.com/documentation/lg/nw6p/index.html?page=/documentation/lg/nw6p/setupenu/data/hr0js4id.html)

These instructions are for doing an in place upgrade. Not needed if your doing a server to server upgrade. (I forget the Novell term :) ) Anyway I include them just in case you need them.

Good Luck :)

Techgurl2k1
11-15-2002, 10:56 AM
Being a semi-new geek, I recently "witnessed" a 5.0 to 6.0 migration at work. The entire process took about 12 hours and once it was completed, the consensus was that it would have been better to do a restore to the new server.