PDA

View Full Version : Facing problem in setting up home network

dracula81
10-07-2002, 07:28 AM
Hi,

I currently setting up a basic home network by connecting two PC (Win98 SE) through the cross cable. I had completed all the configuration, but when I open the entire network in network neighborhood, I got the message telling me the network is not accessible. However, the computer can ping each other in dos prompt.

Here is the setting for both computer

PC1
ip:10.0.0.1
subnet:255.255.255.0
name:pc1
workgroup:cs
tcp/ip bindings setting:
ticked client for microsoft network
unticked file and printer sharing microsfoft

PC2
ip:10.0.0.2
subnet:255.255.255.0
name:pc2
workgroup:cs
tcp/ip bindings setting:same as above

pekay
10-07-2002, 08:44 AM
I think you will need to set up file and print sharing on both computers and use the same username and password on both computers in order to get functionality.

Pekay

IndianaWoody
10-07-2002, 10:04 AM
I would agree to look at the file and printer sharing, but I dont think you will have to have them both with the same user name and password.

May also try (if you havent already) after you make file sharing avaialabe powering both systems down and then rebooting.

IndianaWoody
10-07-2002, 10:05 AM
I would agree to look at the file and printer sharing, but I dont think you will have to have them both with the same user name and password.

May also try (if you havent already) after you make file sharing avaialabe powering both systems down and then rebooting.

Also make sure you dont have a firewall up like Zonealarm or anything, I had trouble getting a network up at work and forgot that I had zonealarm protecting one of the computers, LOL

good luck

dracula81
10-08-2002, 02:04 AM
Thanks for your reply, I had solved the problem. I got another question, can somebody tell me how can I share the internet connection with another pc? I am using dial up connection and the modem is connected to PC1.

IndianaWoody
10-08-2002, 10:28 AM
Since you already have the network set up and are running windows98SE I would suggest internet connection sharing.

On the computer that is hooked to the internet go to control panel, add remove programs. Under the windows tab go down to internet tools and you will find internet connection sharing.

Install this and if I remember correctly there is a wizard you can run and set it all up, it will even let you make a floppy disk to run in your other computer and set it up.

I hope this is what you were looking for, and if you want to add another computer you would need to put a hub into the network.

Good Luck.