PDA

View Full Version : SQL server?

diurnal
10-08-2002, 10:59 PM
What is the function of sql servers? IF you run a website shouldnt IIS services be all you need what does the SQL for? Thanks

sleddog
10-09-2002, 12:28 AM
Well, my server experience is with Linux not Microsoft, but I guess the concepts are the same....

IIS is a webserver that delivers data across the network (internet).

SQL (Structured Query Language) pulls data from a server-based database. This data can then be incorporated into server-generated webpages (created with asp, php, perl, etc). Which are then delivered across the network by the webserver.

Paul Komski
10-09-2002, 10:00 PM
What is the function of sql servers
SQL Server is, at the simplest level, merely a "back-end" Relational Database maintained to "serve" a wide range of front-end Clients.

There would be nothing to stop one from using it on a standalone pc and accessing it's data from a front-end application like FoxPro or MSAccess. This would however be a waste of it's elaborate capabilities. Similarly it could be installed on a LAN to serve clients at multiple workstations and/or to be used as the basis for an IIS-based intranet on that LAN.

SQL Server is however designed:- to support huge databases; with very large numbers of connections; across multiple platforms; across networks and be capable of connecting using a whole variety of methods including TCP/IP. In addition to the storage of data, such things as access permissions may be set up and controlled.

These features make it widely used in the corporate world and as the backend for busy websites that need to be able to (quickly and dynamically) interact with "clients" viewing the pages and pressing buttons/entering data on "forms" - (such as the one I am typing in now) - and which are, in essence, the front-end of the client/server architecture.

SQL is the standard language for "querying" a database. Such queries (written in the code behind the scenes on webpages) can sort and extract data but can also update data, create new tables and even new databases.

Depending on the complexity of a website that needs to store changing data or react dynamically, SQL Server is by no means mandatory. One of the simpler methods is to use a server that supports Front Page Extensions. There are, as ever, "many ways to skin a cat" and if your webpages contain no forms and are composed of straightforward html then no additional "database" support is necessary at all. ;)

diurnal
10-09-2002, 10:15 PM
THanks paul, i running a website now but dont think i need sql, i beginning to see what sql is for, for coporate websites. I still trying to learn frontpage, and im sure sql is more advanced and complicated than frontpage. It took me days to configure frontpage server extensions. and i m sure it would take months to figure out all of sql features and what not. thanks

sleddog
10-09-2002, 10:44 PM
SQL doesn't correlate with corporate websites. It's about provide interactivity with a database. It can be as simple as a guestbook on your website, where visitors enter their name, comments, etc. When submitted, that information is stored in a database. When someone views the guestbook, the data are retrieved from the database and displayed. This discussion forum uses a SQL database.

Paul Komski
10-09-2002, 11:18 PM
SQL doesn't correlate with corporate websites
Not sure what this means sleddog? :confused:

Sorry, maybe I do. It's some possible confusion by Diurnal between SQL - (the language) and SQL Server - (the Database) :D

sleddog
10-10-2002, 12:00 AM
And further confusion between "sql server" and "Microsoft SQL Server", for which I am probably in part responsible :)

Microsoft SQL Server is a product of Microsoft Corporation. "sql server", to me, identifies the server-sided SQL/database technology. There is a variety of "sql servers", one of which is Microsoft SQL Server. Others include PostgreSQL and MySQL which run on Linux.

When I said, "SQL doesn't correlate with corporate websites" I meant that this technology isn't used only on corporate websites. It can, and is, used on myriad small and personal websites. Any decent webhost will provide access to a SQL database and support the scripting languages used to interact with the database via your website.

Paul Komski
10-10-2002, 08:18 PM
HeHe - M$ always seem to have unique ways of doing, and even naming, things; and then expect the whole world to follow in their shoes.

A lot of their software has a Server Version; Win2k, Exchange, SQL and so on. I know this confused me for a long time into thinking they would only work on a Server, when at that time, I didn't even really understand what a Server was. Truth is that they are just another version of the same software but designed in a more elaborate way to be capable of "being scalable (multiprocessor support as standard), secure, and capable for mission-critical environments" but should work just fine on any pc (with certain specified minimum requirements).

The continual development of the MS BackOffice Suite by progressive additions of Server Applications very easily addles my brain. :(

I can see that to call a database an SQL Server seems logical, but what throws the thing askew is that what "MS SQL" is to "MS SQL Server" is not the same as what "MS Exchange" is to "MS Exchange Server"; there being no such "software application" as MS SQL. ;)