PDA

View Full Version : Cable modem is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

jjoel
10-15-2002, 12:35 AM
my computer has a cable modem going through charter communications.

my computer is an HP-511w
celeron 1.2 ghz
256 mb ram
40 gig
etc.
windows xp

im using the integrated lan card on my computer (integrated into the mobo)

i've done several bandwidth tests and im running about 58-150 kbps when cable modem is suppost to be 1.5 mbps but im not getting anywhere that close. right now im about 56k speed tonight which is depressing so please help if you know a good speed booster or something.

i just emptied my cookies which helped a little but not a whole lot. i always defrag my hd etc. thanks for any input!

jjoel

Mark Miller
10-15-2002, 12:58 AM
I use Charter Pipeline also, and the speed is great. I will state the obvious, call Charter and complain complain complain When I first got the service i was not happy and just kept calling till they did something. I am not saying that I know for sure if that is problem, but that it where I would start. They will tell you if it's them or your setup.
Good luck Mark

d03boy
10-22-2002, 09:24 PM
Something I've noticed that helps is make sure you have NetBIOS uninstalled as well as file and printer sharing. (As long as you dont need them obviously). Also IPX should be uninstalled unless you are on a LAN.

Hope this helps

...Joe

jjoel
10-22-2002, 11:02 PM
how do i turn my netbios off and stuff?

charter has been EXTREMELY slow this weekend. sometimes i can't even use the net or sign on to messenger or ANYTHING

d03boy
10-23-2002, 09:30 AM
Start > Programs > Accessories > Communcations > Network Connections
Right-click on Local Area Connection, and choose properties. This will bring up the dialog box you're looking for. Right there in front of you will be all your installed protocols, clients and stuff. I think the only ones that you need to keep would be:
Client for microsoft networks
QoS packet scheduler
and internet protocol [tcp/ip]
most of the other stuff is for Local area networks

goodluck and report if this helps your connection at all

...Joe

aussieolie2
10-23-2002, 10:35 AM
If you can get a connection and its quite fast try tweaking your cable modem and also testing the speed (check out this site) :) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/default.asp
Here you can test your upload and download speeds + also get tweaking tools to connect faster,

Hope this helps,

Olie :cool:

Mark Miller
10-23-2002, 11:19 AM
The suggestions are all well and good but if your connection is really that slow, and your paying for a certain speed or service, complain to Charter. As I said I did it myself and it really helped alot.
Mark

Jhorner1
10-24-2002, 08:12 PM
I too have Charter Communications cable internet. I have not had speed problems, but have had service interuptions. It got too the point where I was keeping a log of all service interuptions, and calling the tech support supervisor weekly to complain, but I have been basically trouble for over a year now. Just keep complaining, and keep records of your calls and speed tests.

Good luck

Jack

Mark Miller
10-24-2002, 09:16 PM
Hi JHorner,
Not to get off the topic but it is so strange how the same company has such different service. My speed is always 1500 or more and my cable bill is $20 [of course to do this I have their top of the line digtal T.V. package,I would have anyway,] All because I complained when I got a new modem from them and my speed was half. Made 1 call and everything changed over the phone, got a great deal cheaper cable and T.V.. Yet alot of people in your area comlain all the time about their service. I hope it gets better.
Mark:)

Jhorner1
10-25-2002, 01:36 AM
Mark
My last post should have read " I have been basically trouble free for over a year now ". My point being that complaining does work.

jjoel
10-25-2002, 09:01 AM
someone give me a freakin number. i couldn't use the net all last night. its pretty decent this morning probably 400kbps or around there. so someone post a number so i can give charter a piece of my mind. im not gonna let my parents spend money on a cable modem that i can't use for homework in the evenings.