PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else still using Hotmail?

kayofcircles
10-16-2002, 12:00 PM
Went to Hotmail this morning to find message text/fonts very tiny. Tried changing text size in IE, no luck. Checked through settings in Hotmail..found nothing on text size. Went to their Help section, found a thing about turning on Rich Text format, did that and could change text size, but typing extremely sluggish (letters forming slowly on screen "behind" me)..and I don't type that fast, trust me. Is this just another example of Hotmail "improving" their service..or do I have a problem because still using older browser? I have always stayed with "text" rather than fancier stuff because I thought that text could be universally read..by MacIntosh users and persumably everyone else.

Does anyone else here still use Hotmail? And did that text shrinking happen to you?

malcore
10-16-2002, 12:53 PM
Hi Kay,

I've noticed some graphics problems lately with MSN sites.

As for small text, jabarnutcase gave a great tip a while ago. If you have a scroll mouse, press and hold the Ctrl button and spin your mouse wheel to adjust the text size on any web page.

PS- I gave up on Hotmail a loooooong time ago.

aussieolie2
10-16-2002, 01:07 PM
Its Microsoft...What do you expect today?
MS websites seem to always need the latest versions and up-to-date patches etc.... Does anybody even update there computers on a regular basis? I wouldnt want MS installing random patches that I didnt know what they did on my pc.
Hotmail has too much spam and is too big, I think many people still use it (especially newbies to email) considering they have like 60m users "and counting"...

Who knows....

Olie

mjc
10-16-2002, 03:11 PM
60M and counting....hmm sounds like the don't purge their lists... I'm probably still counted as a user, because I have a 2yr old account and MS passport that I quit using (I needed an account quickly and was without a computer, and that is all my local library allowed...Hotmail...their computers all have little plaques on them "Donated by Bill and Linda Gates"...so you figure out why only Hotmail......hmm, now if I could just remember that password.....I probably have enough spam to choke a mule......;))

As to why, Kay.....not sure, but I did get an error page last night when trying to check mail for my sister-in-law when using Mozilla......something about needing IE (I didn't pay much attention to it, because at first glance it seemed like the typical MS {you don't have our latest and greatest so we don't want you here)type message. So I would say if you aren't using at least 5.5SP2 it could very well be browser specific...also if you have restricted the settings in anyway that could have anegative impact. Hotmail not only works best with IE, it works best at default (insecure) settings!

kayofcircles
10-17-2002, 10:16 AM
I haven't done anything "restricting" recently. Did do the Exclusive stuff on the Junk Mail filter about 6 or more weeks ago because of the spam increase. I suspect more MSN "improvement" truthfully, because about a month ago, my password wouldn't "save" (and there were display changes to indicate MSN had been fooling with it again). Even though the "keep me logged in" box was checked, every morning would have to re-enter my password. Finally found a way to email support there..and they said they were working on the problem. Don't know about that, but after a few more days of slowly inputing the password I chose long ago, it finally occurred to me to uncheck "keep me logged in" and then the next morning after putting in my password, rechecking the "keep me logged in"...and that worked.

I have hung in with Hotmail..largely out of habit and laziness..but starting to look like I am gonna have to run around the Net and change my "public" addy, huh? Sigh.

dilsburger
10-17-2002, 11:41 AM
Kay, in case you have not already, don't bother looking to Yahoo email as your replacement. It's perhaps worse than Hotmail. At least as much spam and the advertising is rediculous. I feel fortunate that my provider now has a webmail interface.... Sorry I don't have a recommendation though.

aussieolie2
10-17-2002, 04:30 PM
I disagree, yahoo mail is more reliable, and has less spam (I have like 10 spams a day on hotmail and probabally 3 a day on Yahooooooo - both with spam guards). Yahoo has a better spam guard, and also reports the spam to a database so other users are protected from it (its sent to the junk mail folder), you need to have this setup.
In <B> Hotmail </B> you have 2 options:
"Delete the selected message and block future messages from (spammers email address)"
OR:
"Delete the selected message and block future messages from any e-mail addresses ending "spammers domain".
Neither really work as spammers most of the time use fake address.

<B> Yahooooo </B> on the other hand allows you to:
- "Block Address (less effective) Prevent delivery of email from (spammers address)".

- "Report Message (more effective). Send this message to Yahoo! Customer Care to review and improve SpamGuard™."

Does anyone know a good way to stop spam?? I guess there isnt one for webbased email, but even for email clients on networks or standalones??

Olie

ErnieK
10-17-2002, 05:41 PM
Kay
I would strongly recommend Eudroa http://www.eudoramail.com/
I have had my account for 9-10 months now and have never received any spam or junk of any sort. Keep your hotmail for one off mails like I do.

Paul Komski
10-17-2002, 09:11 PM
.... or try a free pop account like HotPop (http://www.emailaddresses.com/email_pop.htm) and if you need to check your mail from anywhere just bring a floppy with PopCorn (http://www.ultrafunk.com/products/popcorn/) on it with you.

Mark Miller
10-17-2002, 09:50 PM
I would agree with Ernie and try eudora. Been using it as second box and it,s been great.
Mark

rahulkothari
10-18-2002, 08:56 AM
i have been using yahoo account from over two years and havent received any junk...(now dont be jealous :p )... except some useless mail, once in maybe 4 or 5 months.

hotmail account attracts a lotta junk these days, most are those 'university-diploma' ones .... i wonder what kinda "diploma" it offers ... maybe "diploma in sending junk mail" :D . Moresover, i use this account as msn messenger needs a hotmail account.

also, i like rediffmail... reallll fast with no junk.

regarding the text being displayed small, kay, a silly question ... have you tried viewing the hotmail site in other browser ?

kayofcircles
10-18-2002, 12:31 PM
I remembered the Eudora recommendations from months ago, and had it as first choice on my alternative list. The thing is..now that I have bothered everyone with this post :D ..the problem has vanished. In other words, I went to Hotmail this morning and text inside message bodies back to normal viewing size, as is Compose window text. Someone at Hotmail must have heard me griping?

rahulkothari : Now think a minute... If I am too lazy to have changed from Hotmail after all this time, do you think I would have another browser on my puter??? I am still using IE 5... :)..even though Opera and Mozilla have been recommended over IE dozens of times here. I have saved links to both...maybe someday.

Anyhoo..I thank you all for ideas/input and will remember them.

sleddog
10-18-2002, 04:29 PM
Just a comment...

Hotmail yahoo.com not only receive lots of spam, but are also used by spammers for sending their garbage. Many people (including me) simply refuse to accept any mail from those domains.

mjc
10-18-2002, 10:00 PM
Most of the spam that says it comes from Yahoo or Hotmail does not, frequently it comes from places in China, Korea, or other countries that are quite as vigilent about mail server security (a lot of open relays).

Here are some headers that come from "MSN".....

Return-Path: <mrhealth@msn.com>
Received: from inbound0.my.ispnet (inbound0.my.isp.net [209.xxx.xxx.xx])
by my.isp.net (8.12.1/8.12.1/isp) with ESMTP id g3JLWqZ9010333
for <myaddress@myisp.com>; Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:32:53 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from msn.com (stats.nextron.ch [193.108.137.28])
by inbound0.my.isp.net (8.12.1/8.12.0) with SMTP id g3JLV0wq013803
for <myaddress@myisp.com>; Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:31:01 -0700 (PDT)

The bold is the key portion, if you notice, it says msn, but running a who is on the numeric address shows it is really a server for these guys....NEXTRON-PI-NET, with the specific server shown in the parenthesis. So nope this one does not come from MSN.