PDA

View Full Version : hidden shares

HoneyBadger
10-28-2002, 07:42 AM
hiya,
ok i have setup a peer to peer n/w using w2k and ME, i can share folders on the w2k machine, but what i want to do is have only the folders that a particular user on a ME machine is allowed to access show, i tried adding the dollar sign to the share name but it hides that share from everybody....

so how do i make the hidden shares show for ppl who are allowed to access them ? i would and need that not all shared foldrs are on view for all users even tho they cant open them, sorta outa sight outa mind..

Badger

Ghost_Hacker
10-28-2002, 10:43 AM
There is no way to hide a share without using "$". (share rights will control who can access a share but won't hide it from view.)

You might want to think about mapping drive letters to those hidden shares for your users at login.

Good Luck :)

HoneyBadger
10-30-2002, 01:30 AM
Hiya Ghost,
hmm yep thats a good idea, will try that,

thanks
Badger

aussieolie2
10-30-2002, 12:43 PM
G'day mate,
You could also use a logon script to map the drives automatically and then disable the network neighbour.. (using POLEDIT) thus stopping them to see any shares etc.. (to an extent)
Also POLEDIT/CONSOLE depends which version of Windows you use as to how you write the script.

Hope this helps,

No worries,

Olie (Aussie)