PDA

View Full Version : MS firewall

Mark Miller
11-04-2002, 05:44 PM
I just read an interesting article in PC Advisor ,[english mag], about how they reccommend using Ms firewall over something like Zone Alarm. The reason being that if you have a good AV to stop trogins and bad e-mail, that the firewall that comes with XP does the job, and that the key to them is having a good Av. There are no conflicts which sometimes happen when you put a new program in. I have read many posts saying that the Ms firewall is sh-t, but they feel that for keeping things out it is just as good as any of the others. This the first time I have read this and was pretty surprised.
Mark

YODA74
11-04-2002, 06:27 PM
I used M$ firewall for a while it will run stealth but only for incoming not out going. was not impressed with it went back to hardware firewall.Used to use ZA but is just to buggy for me But it is probobly one of the best firewall there is just when you get ZA, Norton AV.and windows running on the same machine Disaster is bound to happen :D

Ghost_Hacker
11-05-2002, 08:02 AM
If your interested in using the built in "firewalling" of XP. Check out seting up IPsec.

Here's a link:

IPsec (http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/columns/using_ipsec.asp)

Note that the steps used in the article to "lock down" a server can also be used on a workstation running Windows 2000 or XP.

Hope this helps :)

Mark Miller
11-05-2002, 09:54 AM
Thanks for link Ghost,
Not so much interested in the setting up firewall as the fact the a publication had said that with the right AV that it was very good at what it did, and that there are no software conflicts that happen ,sometimes, with ZA
Mark