PDA

View Full Version : Hi Every body here ! Any one have ever used "Tape Drive"

frankbarlake
11-07-2002, 05:32 AM
I have HP Tape Drive DLT, but it has some problem. When I insert the tape, it 's not accept the tape, mean it't not load the tape for operating. All the lights on front pannel is flash and the tape return begin to be load. But it's not load for using.
Someone knows ..please help me !!
thank you.

slim
11-08-2002, 05:23 AM
Hi,

If all the lights are flashing on the front of the tape drive there are normally two possible causes.

1. The tape you are using is damaged or unreadable
2. The drive is dirty and requires a clean or has another fault.

First I would suggest you give the drive a clean using a cleaning tape and if that fails try another tape. If that stills fails and you have backup software, try searching the logs for a error code. But chances are if you have cleaned the drive and tried a new tape, then there is a fault with the drive itself.

This fault is very common with these sort of drives, what happens is dust and dirt builds up around the tape reader heads and prevents the drive from reading a tape. The only way to reduce the risk of this happening is to regulalry clean the drive with the cleaning tape and store the tapes in their case. But as I know from experience, this still does not guarantee this problem will not occur (HP DLT drives are quite sensitive to dust).

Hope this Helps

Slim

frankbarlake
11-11-2002, 01:20 AM
Are you sure the reason is sensitive with dust. Fault is exactly follow :
+ When I insert a tape into the drive, the light "tape in use" is on and blink but after that about 10 seconds it's flash all the light on the right hand inclucde " Write prottecd" "Tape In use" "use cleaning Tape" and "Operate Handle".
It continue the loop above and I can back up or restore my data.

My tape drive is HP SureStore DLT 30. It's good before.

slim
11-15-2002, 08:08 AM
Hi,

Hmmmm, so the drive does does work some of the time after some fiddling around with reloading the tape, which I agree does put into question my first suggestion about dust or dirt being the culprit.

So lets get this right, you can still use the drive if you have loaded the tape twice ?????

Also, which OS are you using and what backup software are you using with the drive???

Slim