PDA

View Full Version : 5 1/4" bay coolers

saphalline
11-09-2002, 02:41 PM
Anyone have a recommendation for a 5 1/4" drive bay cooler? I could go and look for some reviews, but I was just wondering if anyone here has one that works well for them.

My Athlon T-bird 1.2 with GF2 Ti doesn't run very hot right now, but I will be upgrading in a few months and want to keep my cooling up to spec. :cool:

aussieolie2
11-11-2002, 05:03 PM
I would suggest you did not invest in a bay cooler, but probablly a better CPU FAN & HEATSINK - wait till you get them and also if you can use your BIOS or a program to monitor your temperature.
Unless you have like a really hot (as in the temp) graphics card, a heavy breathing HDD and anything else thats going to warm you up, I wouldnt suggest a bay cooler just yet.
See how you go,

Good Luck,

Olie

P.S IF in doubt, make sure you PC is set to shutdown after it reachs a critical temperature. (Usually available in the BIOS)

Jiggy
11-11-2002, 05:13 PM
for a good heatsink try the Thermalright SLK-800, link (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Other_CPU_and_System_Coolers_18.h tml).

and a fan to top it off, try the Delta 60mm Focussed Flow Fan, link (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Delta_Fans_58.html).

my brother and i both use the above heatsink and fan.:D

ranchdog
11-11-2002, 07:09 PM
I've looked at a couple of these

but they seemed to be something

I could live without.

Both didn't move much air.

RD.

YODA74
11-11-2002, 09:55 PM
Have to agree with the rest Not impressed with them side fans or others would be more beneficial.

From what i've seen with drive bay coolers there only good for looks they do not move enough air to be efficiant enough to pay 30.00 bucks for.especially if you put a HDD in it, will only drop the temp by a degree or to.Not enough for the extra power drain.

saphalline
11-12-2002, 03:26 AM
Good to know they aren't worth it before I waste money on one! :D

Yeah, I'm planning on using that HS when I upgrade. I'm thinking of going all the way to the 2600+, which surprisingly my Asus A7V266-E supports with the latest BIOS! :cool: Gotta admit that Asus can live up to its prestige and price when it wants to, 'cause I originally could only go up to the 2000+.