PDA

View Full Version : Greeting Card Viruses/Trogans/Worms!?!?!?!?

aussieolie2
11-11-2002, 05:11 PM
I cannot believe I was stupid enough to look at a greeting card sent by a close friend 'www.friendgreetings.com' and more... Be warned all i did was install the site's plugin and I had like a nice collection of 16 viruses, trojans, and worms (which I got to just in time).
But I mean thats just FUBAR! I cannot believe a website is still up that basically serves you a nice set of leathal bugs.
Be vigilant, you cant trust anyone these days lol.

P.S Norton Corp Edition didnt detect these untill the next day - only when I accessed a folder under C:\program files\media - that folder ceased to exist when I found the little nippers.
Now I have to sterilise my registry...Arghhhh.

For more info on this sick little bug:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/friendgreetings.html

*** WARNING BLOCK THESE SITES: ***
'www.cool-downloads.com"
'www.cool-downloads.net"
'www.friend-cards.net"
'www.friend-greeting.com"
'www.friend-greeting.net"
'www.friend-greetings.com"
'www.friend-greetings.net"

Olie

Budfred
11-11-2002, 05:18 PM
Are you aware that you just posted a link to the infected site? You might want to edit that so that it doesn't link, you just put a couple of strategic spaces or other characters in it.

Budfred

aussieolie2
11-11-2002, 05:20 PM
Sorry bout that...Fixed.

Thanks.

Regards,

Olie

mjc
11-11-2002, 05:48 PM
Unfortunately the damage may be done....it tries to mail 'greetings" to all your contacts in your addressbook, after you agree to the EULA.

Spybot targets this little piece of filth...

SpywareBlaster will kill the known CLSIDs for it, which will prevent it from running and will also prevent future infections.

(links on the AV page, in my sig)

This thing isn't really a virus/trojan/worm but exhibits such behavior (the company has definitely overstepped the bounds of good taste and decency with this one in order to gain a little marketshare). It has p*(**d off quite a few people...

SpyBot will clean most if not all the registry entries.

aussieolie2
11-11-2002, 05:55 PM
THanks man - MJC
I will use some of these little tools and clean me registry

I cannot believe how pathetic putting a site up purely to infect people is...Some people have TOO MUCH TIME!

Olie
:cool:

mjc
11-11-2002, 07:42 PM
I guess that they were tired of being on the bottom of the heap.....they have been around for a while (parent comapany Permedia), but this nasty new "viewer" certainly got them noticed.