PDA

View Full Version : Cases for mATX boards?

johnw
11-15-2002, 09:07 PM
Hello everyone

I'm trying to get info for my first build, which will be an Athlon Xp, with probably a micro ATX board. I have been looking at several suppliers such as newegg.com and can't seem to to able to figure out what cases can accomodate a micro ATX board. Can all ATX cases take care of a mATX board, or some or none? Newegg has a section on mATX cases, but the pickings are small. Please help me solve this puzzle with your opinions. Thanks.

Budfred
11-15-2002, 09:19 PM
Any ATX case should be able to handle a microATX board. You would have extra room which is generally a good thing. I would go for the mid-ATX tower range.

Budfred

johnw
11-15-2002, 10:54 PM
Thanks Budfred; that simplifies things for me.

Steve
11-16-2002, 08:00 AM
johnw,

If you're going to go with a mid-atx case you might as well go with a regular atx motherboard also. The only reason I know to buy a micro atx motherboard is because they fit in those little mini atx cases.

The micro boards usually have less space for everything. Fewer PCI slots. Maybe one less memory slot. Onboard audio and video, etc. Which is great if you're trying to save space. If you're going with the larger case anyway, you may as well get a motherboard with more features. :)