PDA

View Full Version : Start up problems

wiltrot
11-17-2002, 10:25 AM
A friends laptop boots up to blank (green) screen, with only the mouse pointer which can be controled even with a USB mouse. Can boot to safe mode and the desktop will appear with all the icons. This thing is running Windows 98se. Need help, Thanks. P.S. This thing is a little old, runs on Genuinelntel Pentium(r) Processor 32.0MB RAM.

Steve
11-17-2002, 10:44 AM
Try looking in device manager while in safe mode and see if you have any problems or ghost entries. You can try removing the video adapters and rebooting. (while in safe mode)

wiltrot
11-17-2002, 10:54 AM
What do you mean "ghost entries"?

wiltrot
11-17-2002, 11:14 AM
There's a lot of duplicate devices. For example:Toshiba CD-ROM XM 1602BV appears twice. Generic NEC Floppy Disk appears twice. Standard Floppy Disk Controller appears twice. Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller appears twice. Toshiba Standard IDE Controller appears twice. Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard appears twice. Plug and Play Monitor appears three times.Toshiba ToPIC97 CardBus Controller appears twice. There is more but I guess you get the picture.

Steve
11-17-2002, 11:16 AM
All those doubles are what I mean by ghost entries. Start removing them. Only one entry per item. ;)

wiltrot
11-17-2002, 11:26 AM
Will do. Thanks. I'll be back.:cool:

Whyzman
11-17-2002, 11:32 AM
I'd say your system overall will run a bit smoother with all those "Ghosts" out of it!

Ghost drivers confuse the system, especially if there might be a slight variation in drivers...how does Windows know which of the listed drivers to use?

Plus, I would think that you'd be chewing up valuable System Resources if all the duplicate hardware drivers are loading up at boot.

As Steve pointed out, they don't show up unless you're in SAFEMODE...sneaky buggers! ;)

YODA74
11-17-2002, 11:33 AM
Also have you tried downloading and installing the latest version of DirectX and the latest video card drivers?? (only one pls.):D

wiltrot
11-17-2002, 12:07 PM
Well I did it. I removed all the duplicate devices. BUT! after rebooting, it just reloaded them all back on. Shall I remove them all and then maybe it will reload just one? The friend is the Pastor where I work and his wife is a Commander in the Navy and she's the primary user. He told me whatever I do "DON'T REFORMAT!":cool: I'm thinking if she's a smart Commander she has a backup (plan).:cool:

Whyzman
11-17-2002, 12:19 PM
Wil,

"Normal" course of action when removing in SAFEMODE is to completely remove the device itself. Then, REBOOT, and allow Windows to locate the device and reinstall the drivers.

Of course, the ability to Reinstall the drivers presupposes that you have them accessible before proceeding! ;)

Did you remove the devices listed beneath the main device, or the device itself?

wiltrot
11-17-2002, 12:30 PM
Mostly beneath. Are not these devices related to the O.S. and if so I have it. I notice the other devices sound, network, video are not duplicated. So your saying I can remove both device and it's duplicate?

Whyzman
11-17-2002, 12:39 PM
Wil,

If you remove the main device itself it should take out the duplicates and then give you a clean slate, so to speak, to reinstall.

Which is the duplicate? Hehe...do we really know?

wiltrot
11-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Well, nothing. Everything's the same. I'm returning the laptop. thank for all your help. Most of the devices did not reduplicate. But same old blank (green) screen w/mouse pointer that will move. You can still feed me some more thoughts I will pass it on. Thanks all you wonderful people. Sincerely, William L. Trotter Jr.

Whyzman
11-17-2002, 01:50 PM
Wil,

Sounds like mjc time....

Steve
11-17-2002, 02:08 PM
I know the owner said no reformat but you should at least back up all important files just incase the worst happens. :eek:

wiltrot
11-17-2002, 02:15 PM
Okay, I just found out that he did a disk cleanup and then a defrag. When it finished deframenting it asked to reboot and that's when it came up with the blank (green) screen w/working mouse.

Steve
11-17-2002, 02:23 PM
If this has all happened in the last few days you may want to try a C:\scanreg /restore.

Whyzman
11-17-2002, 02:47 PM
If Steve's Restore suggestion doesn't help, you might want to try MSConfig. Since it is starting properly in SAFEMODE my suspicion is that there's a problem/conflict with a driver.

SAFEMODE works with a minimal driver load. You could try the Startup Tab in Msconfig and untick everything but Systray and begin adding back in until the problem occurs again.

YODA74
11-17-2002, 03:13 PM
wiltrot This has nothing to do with your puter But are you related to the People that own TROTTER HOMES?? (just wondering)

wiltrot
11-17-2002, 03:24 PM
OUTSTANDING! Steve, you da man, that did it.
I'm not sure about being related to the people who own Trotter Homes.
I don't keep up with all them Trotters. Then again if I am maybe they will give me a discount.:)

Whyzman
11-17-2002, 03:38 PM
Nice catch Steve! :cool: