PDA

View Full Version : Smart fans?

johnw
11-18-2002, 12:20 PM
Hello everyone; just gathering info for first build.
I have been reading about cases, cooling, and cooling for CPU's and became interested in the idea of smart fans that regulate rpm according to temperature readings from a sensor. Are these a good idea, or is this something else that can go wrong? This sounds good on paper, but...? Anyone have experience with these? Thanks in advance for your input.

BigBlue66
11-18-2002, 02:31 PM
I would never consider using a thermally controlled fan on a heatsink.

Some of these fans don't kick into high gear until whatever is being sensored gets into the 50-55C range.

If you want good case cooling with minimal noise, I suggest using 39cfm Sunons.

JUAN DOS
11-18-2002, 03:05 PM
I purchased a thermaltake volcano 7, which included a “smart fan”.

http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v7.htm
Check out the installation before purchasing one of these units.
The instructions re installing the temperature probe (thermister) were vague at best.
The printed instruction sheet was unclear.
The online instructions were unclear.
I did not install this “Feature”.

The fan noise created at max rpm (5000) is intolerable, so manual variable speed control made it useable.
A fixed normal speed fan would have sufficed.

Purchasing a smart fan was a dumb idea.

PPAALL
11-28-2002, 09:15 AM
Yes - I agree with BB & JD.
I also was looking for Thermaltake Volcano 7+ or 9 but deffered the idea because of Smart fans.
I think Panasonic Panflo or Sunon are worth giving a try.

Budfred
11-28-2002, 03:13 PM
I am using a Volcano 7 on a system I am building and so far it seems fine. Installation seemed to be a matter of plugging it into the mobo, if it is more than that, I haven't seen any indication of it. I haven't run it hard yet, so if I have problems with it, I will post back.

Budfred